John McBain (musician)
|Birth name||John Paul McBain|
|Born||April 23, 1965
|Genres||Rock, space rock, stoner rock, psychedelic rock|
|Associated acts||Monster Magnet
John McBain (born John Paul McBain on April 23, 1965) was a guitarist for Monster Magnet, Wellwater Conspiracy, his solo work, and has contributed to The Desert Sessions McBain hails from New Jersey.
After leaving Monster Magnet, McBain moved to Washington State to create the garage-rock group Hater, along with Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam), Ben Shepherd (Soundgarden) and Brian Wood (brother of Mother Love Bone vocalist Andrew Wood). The band released two albums of their brand of garage/psychedelic rock: their self-titled debut in 1993 and their follow-up, The 2nd, which was recorded in 1995 but released in 2005.
In 1997, after Hater broke up, McBain participated in the first Desert Sessions, a musical project led by Queens of the Stone Age front man Josh Homme. There he befriended ex-Kyuss/Fu Manchu drummer Brant Bjork.
In 1997, McBain and Matt Cameron created the Wellwater Conspiracy along with Ben Shepherd. Their debut release was Declaration of Conformity, released in 1997 on the Third Gear label. Shortly after the release, Cameron was chosen to replace Jack Irons as drummer for rock group Pearl Jam. However, Cameron maintained both groups, contributing to a further three Wellwater Conspiracy albums. Notable appearances include keyboardist Glenn Slater of folk rock group The Walkabouts, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss.
In 2004, John moved to San Francisco, refining material he'd accumulated which he believed wasn't in step with the Wellwater Conspiracy's garage rock style. In February, 2006 he released The In-Flight Feature on Duna Records (founded by friend Brant Bjork). In 2012 McBain collaborated with Carlton Melton on their Smoke Drip 12 inch LP 
With Monster Magnet:
With Wellwater Conspiracy:
- Declaration of Conformity - 1997
- Brotherhood of Electric: Operational Directives - 1999
- The Scroll and Its Combinations - 2001
- Wellwater Conspiracy - 2003
- The In-Flight Feature - 2006
- Desert Sessions Vol 1 & 2 - 1998
- Desert Sessions Vol 3 & 4 - 1998
- The Freeks - The Freeks - 2008
- Carlton Melton - Smoke Drip - 2012
- "Desert Sessions Biography". Allmusic. 2007. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- "John McBain Biography". Allmusic. 2006. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- "Amazon page for In-Flight Feature". Amazon. 2006. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- "Headphones required: John McBain's psychedelic guitar". Erenlai. 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- "All Hail the Crown". Shawn Smith Collective. 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-16.