17 April 1940 |
Surbiton, Surrey, England
|Education||Elizabeth College, Guernsey; Victoria College, Jersey; Harrow School|
|Occupation||Horse racing pundit, journalist, broadcaster|
|Years active||1978, 1981–present|
|Spouse(s)||Jenny McCririck (m. 1971)|
McCririck was educated at Elizabeth College, Guernsey, Victoria College, Jersey and Harrow School. He was originally a racing journalist with The Sporting Life and also wrote for Grandstand; he began his career as a television pundit on ITV's horse racing coverage in 1981 although he did appear in a debate about fox hunting on the ITV children's programme Saturday Banana in 1978. During 1984 and 1985, horse racing moved from ITV to Channel 4 as Channel 4 Racing. In October 2012 it was announced by Channel 4 that McCririck would not be included in the team presenting racing from January 2013, which McCririck blamed on ageism.
Celebrity Big Brother
Ultimate Big Brother
Other TV appearances
McCririck appeared on the 1991 Bullseye Christmas Special, winning the top prize for his chosen charity. He has also appeared in the Celebrity Poker Club television series, reaching the Grand Final of series one, won by Sir Clive Sinclair.
McCririck appeared on an episode of Hell's Kitchen (season 3, episode 8) in which Head Chef Marco Pierre White refused to serve him after McCririck told him that his consommé was 'greasy', in spite of being informed that it contained foie gras and truffle oil. "I know John. He's awkward, he's got no taste. All you have to do is look at how he dresses," Marco Pierre White said after the sequence.
- Elizabeth College Register, Volume IV (1940-1975), student number 4720, p. 182, compiled by Keith Bichard, published 2000 in Guernsey
- "John McCririck sacked from Channel 4 racing team". The Daily Telegraph. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- "John McCririck accuses Channel 4 of ageism after racing veterans axed". The Guardian. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- John McCririck - Celebrities - Big Brother
- John McCririck enters Ultimate Big Brother
- "The Big Interview: John McCririck". The Times (London). 2005-03-13. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- Celebrity Wife Swap - Edwina Currie and John McCririck
- Radio Times - Weakest Link Special Edition
- McCririck cooks up a stir at 'Hell's Kitchen'
- John McCririck at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview in The Guardian, July 4, 2001
- Channel 4 Horse Racing
- John McCririck profile at Biogs.com