He was Chief Librarian of the Labour Party from 1987 to 1992.
He was Political Secretary/Director of Political Operations at 10 Downing Street for Tony Blair from 2005–2007, where he provided political management and support for the development of the government's political strategy.
- Totaro, Paola (2012-05-06). "Julia's master of spin". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2013-12-11.
- "John McTernan". London. The Guardian. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- "Honours probe quiz for No 10 aide", BBC News Scotland, 24 January 2007
- "Blair aide sent to stem SNP tide", The Scotsman, 16 January 2007
- "Now Holyrood election chief quizzed in peerages inquiry", The Scotsman, 24 January 2007
- Stratton, Allegra (2011-09-28). "Allegra Stratton's conference diary: Ed and Ed learn tough lessons from Blair and Brown". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-12-11.
http://w3.unisa.edu.au/hawkecentre/events/2011events/ATIR_JohnMcTernan.asp http://www.amazon.com/Question-Honour-Inside-Peerages-Scandal/dp/1416598243/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=23HRH5JTNDJ14&coliid=I3CFOTD6KL2XKH http://www.thinkers.sa.gov.au/thinkers/mcternan/who.aspx http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/julias-master-of-spin-20120505-1y5jq.html http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/gender-war-positioning-for-fed-election/story-e6frfku9-1226493235289
|This article about a Scottish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|