Life and career
Micklethwait was born in 1962, in London, England, and educated at the independent school Ampleforth College and Magdalen College, Oxford, where he studied history. He worked for Chase Manhattan Bank for two years and joined The Economist in 1987. Prior to becoming editor-in-chief, he was United States editor of the publication and ran the New York Bureau for two years. Before that, he edited the Business Section of the newspaper for four years. His other roles have included setting up an office in Los Angeles for The Economist, where he worked from 1990 to 1993. He has covered business and politics from the United States, Latin America, Continental Europe, Southern Africa and most of Asia.
Appointed as editor-in-chief on 23 March 2006, the first issue of The Economist published under his editorship was released on 7 April 2006. He was named Editors' Editor by the British Society of Magazine Editors in 2010. A frequent broadcaster, Micklethwait has appeared on CNN, ABC News, BBC, C-SPAN, PBS and NPR.
He is a trustee of the British Museum.
He was also a delegate, along with two colleagues, at the 2010 Bilderberg Conference held in Spain. This group consists of an assembly of notable politicians, industrialists and financiers who meet annually to discuss issues on a non-disclosure basis.
Micklethwait is the co-author of several books with Adrian Wooldridge, including:
- The Witch Doctors
- A Future Perfect: the Challenge and Hidden Promise of Globalisation
- The Company — A Short History of a Revolutionary Idea
- The Right Nation: A Study of Conservatism in America
- God is Back
- Profile at The Economist
- Inside The Economist Magazine- Stanford's Hoover Institution interview with Micklethwaite
- John Micklethwait: Great Minds like a think- Profile of Micklethwait from The Independent – Archived copy
- Conversations With History Interview with Micklethwait at the Institute of International Studies, UC Berkeley
- Biography from the London Speaker Bureau
- Interview on OpenDemocracy.net
- Biography from Random House
- Interview on The Alligator Online
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Works by or about John Micklethwait in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
|Editor of The Economist