John Moffitt (American football)
Moffitt in the 2013 preseason.
No. 74, 72
|Date of birth:October 28, 1986|
|Place of birth: Guilford, Connecticut|
|High school: West Haven (CT) Notre Dame|
|NFL Draft: 2011 / Round: 3 / Pick: 75|
|Debuted in 2011 for the Seattle Seahawks|
|Last played in 2013 for the Denver Broncos|
Career NFL statistics
John David Moffitt (born October 28, 1986) is a former American football offensive guard who played the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks with the 11th pick in the third round (75th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Wisconsin. He retired from professional football during the 2013-2014 NFL season while on the roster of the Denver Broncos.
High school career
Moffitt attended Notre Dame High School in West Haven, Connecticut, US, where he was a two-time all-conference choice as a two-way lineman. As a senior, he made 65 tackles and registered seven QB sacks in 2005. Regarded as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, he was listed as the No. 13 prospect from the New England region.
While some have heralded John's ability to run block, many red flags have been raised about his pass blocking skills. According to sidelinescouting.com, Moffitt is "not very fast" and "lacks real quickness", raising questions about his longevity as an American football guard or center.
Moffitt was drafted number 75 overall by the Seattle Seahawks in the 2011 NFL Draft. Moffitt started nine games in the 2011 season before being injured in the week-13 game against the Baltimore Ravens. His career took a further downside when hit with a four game suspension for using performance enhancing drugs 
Moffitt was traded to the Cleveland Browns on August 19, 2013. On August 20, 2013, the trade was rescinded, reportedly due to Moffitt failing his physical. In an interview with 710 ESPN Seattle, Moffitt claimed that Cleveland wanted him to take less money to play there and when he said he wouldn't do that they told him that they were going to fail his physical.
During his time with the Seahawks, Moffitt had several run-ins at Bellevue Square, Lincoln Square and the Eastside’s other Kemper Properties, from which Moffitt was banned in early 2012. After the ban, he was arrested June 14, 2012, for allegedly urinating on a parked car near Bellevue Square mall, and was caught trespassing again that August at Lincoln Square’s Paddy Coyne’s bar. Moffitt was more recently charged with drug possession and battery.
- "Postseason New England top 20 2006". Rivals.com. January 21, 2006.
- "Newton, Fairley give Auburn All-American anchors". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. December 14, 2010.
- "CBSSports.com 2010 College Football All-America Team". CBSSports.com. December 9, 2010.
- "Rivals.com 2010 All-America teams". Rivals.com. December 8, 2010.
- O'Neil, Danny (December 6, 2011). "Seahawks' injured rookie John Moffitt hit with four-game suspension". The Seattle Times.
- http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/06/seahawks-john-moffitt-suspended-for-performance-enhancing-drugs/. Missing or empty
- Brinson, Will (August 20, 2013). "John Moffitt deal to Cleveland rescinded, heading to Denver now". CBSSports.com. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "John Moffitt was unhappy, quits NFL". ESPN. November 6, 2013.
- Pesca, Mike (January 29, 2014). "The Man Who Turned His Back On Two Super Bowl Teams — And Why". All Things Considered. NPR.
- http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2014/03/18/former-seattle-seahawks-player-john-moffitt-on-his-drug-battery-arrest-dumb-mistake/. Missing or empty