John Morrison, 1st Baron Margadale
Major John Granville Morrison, 1st Baron Margadale TD, DL (16 December 1906 – 25 May 1996), was a British landowner and Conservative Party politician. An MP from 1942 to 1965, he notably served as Chairman of the 1922 Committee between 1955 and 1964.
Morrison was the son of Hugh Morrison and Lady Mary Leveson-Gower, daughter of the Liberal statesman Granville Leveson-Gower, 2nd Earl Granville. James Morrison was his great-grandfather. He was educated at Eton College and Magdalene College, Cambridge and served in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry in the Second World War.
Morrison was appointed High Sheriff of Wiltshire for 1938. In 1942 he was elected Member of Parliament for Salisbury, a seat he held until 1965, and served as Chairman of the 1922 Committee between 1955 and 1964. On 1 January 1965 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Margadale, of Islay in the County of Argyll, in recognition of his "political and public services". From 1967 to 1975, he was President of the Wiltshire Historic Buildings Trust. He was also Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire between 1969 and 1981. In January 1983, he was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant for Wiltshire, together with Mary Salisbury.
Lord Margadale married the Honourable Margaret Smith, daughter of William Smith, 2nd Viscount Hambleden and Lady Esther Gore, on 16 October 1928. They had one daughter and three sons, the two younger of whom became Conservative politicians:
- James Morrison, 2nd Baron Margadale (17 July 1930 – 6 April 2003).
- Hon. Sir Charles Andrew Morrison (25 June 1932 – 9 May 2005).
- Hon. Dame Mary Anne Morrison, GCVO (b. 17 May 1937), Woman of the Bedchamber to HM Queen Elizabeth II since 1960.
- Rt. Hon. Sir Peter Morrison (2 June 1944 – 13 July 1995).
Lady Margadale died in 1980. Lord Margadale was succeeded in the barony by his eldest son, James.
- thepeerage.com Major John Granville Morrison, 1st Baron Margadale
- The London Gazette: . 18 March 1938. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- The London Gazette: . 14 July 1942.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- The London Gazette: . 27 November 1964.
- The London Gazette: . 1 January 1965.
- Colin Johns, Wiltshire Historic Buildings Trust 1967-2007 (2007) online, Appendix 1
- The London Gazette: . 2 September 1969.
- The London Gazette: . 17 January 1983.
- "The Hon. Mary Morrison, GCVO," debretts.com, accessed 17 January 2014.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lord Margadale
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Salisbury
|Party political offices|
|Chairman of the 1922 Committee
Sir William Anstruther-Gray, Bt
The Earl of Pembroke
|Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire
Hugh Trefusis Brassey
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron Margadale