|Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
from the 89th district
|Preceded by||John Gard|
February 27, 1964 |
John Nygren (born February 27, 1964) is an American insurance and financial services agent, former restaurateur, and Republican politician from Marinette, Wisconsin, who has served as a member of the Wisconsin State Assembly's 89th Assembly District (portions of Marinette, Oconto and Brown counties) since 2007. At the beginning of the 2013–2014 Legislature Nygren was named the Assembly Co-Chairman of the Joint Committee on Finance.
Nygren is a fourth generation resident of Northeast Wisconsin. He graduated from Marinette High School in 1982, has studied at the University of Wisconsin-Marinette, and worked in the restaurant industry for over twelve years, eventually becoming co-owner/operator of his own establishment. In 1998 he started work at Great Lakes Financial Management Group selling insurance and other financial services.
Nygren was very involved with the Jaycees. He served as Marinette's Chapter President, the Regional Director for Northeast Wisconsin, Wisconsin State President, and the United States National President.
Nygren served as the Chairman of the Marinette County Republican Party, and served on the City of Marinette Recreation and Planning Board from 2003–06. In the September 2006 primary election to succeed fellow Republican John Gard for the 89th District (Gard was running for Congress), Nygren narrowly defeated Gary Drzewiecki, with 2777 votes to Drzewiecki's 2740, and went on in November to defeat Democrat Randy Koehn (a Marinette High School teacher, as is Nygren's wife Maggie), 11,844 to 10,011. He was assigned to the standing committees on insurance, education, health and health care reform; and jobs and the economy
He was unopposed in the 2008 Republican primary, again faced Koehn in the general election, and again defeated him, 14,814 to 12,839. In 2010 he was again unopposed in his primary, and defeated Democrat Bob Orwig by 15,788 to 7,520.
2011 run for state Senate
In 2011, Nygren sought to run against incumbent Democratic state senator Dave Hansen, who was the subject of a recall election; but the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board ruled that he was two signatures short of the necessary 400 signatures on his nomination petition, and would not be on the ballot.
Nygren is married to Maggie, a family and consumer education teacher at Marinette High, and they have three children Cassie, Cali, and Colin. The Nygren family is active at Faith Lutheran Church, where Maggie teaches Sunday school and chairs the Mission Board. John now serves as church Elder, and previously spent four years as Church President.
|2012 Election for Wisconsin's 89th Assembly District |
|Republican||John Nygren (incumbent)||16,081||59.05%||- 8.63%|
|Democratic||Joe Reinhard||11,129||40.87%||+ 8.63%|
|2010 Election for Wisconsin's 89th Assembly District|
|Republican||John Nygren (incumbent)||15,788||67.68%||+14.14%|
|2008 Election for Wisconsin's 89th Assembly District|
|Republican||John Nygren (incumbent)||14,814||53.54%||- 0.56%|
|Democratic||Randy Koehn||12,839||46.40%||+ 0.67%|
|2006 Election for Wisconsin's 89th Assembly District|
- "District map" (PDF). Legis.wisconsin.gov. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- Barish, Lawrence S. (ed.). "State of Wisconsin 2007 - 2008 Blue Book Madison: Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau, 2007" (PDF). p. 89. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "State Representative John Nygren". Legis.state.wi.us. 1964-02-27. Retrieved 2011-06-27.
- [dead link]
- Barish, Lawrence S. (ed.). "State of Wisconsin 2007–2008 Blue Book Madison: Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau, 2007" (PDF). p. 920, 922. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- Barish, Lawrence S (ed.). "State of Wisconsin 2009 – 2010 Blue Book Madison: Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau, 2009" (PDF). p. 925. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- ""2010 Fall General Election Results Summary – Post-Recount" Wisconsin Government Accountability Board" (PDF). Gab.wi.gov. December 7, 2010. p. 31. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- [dead link]
- State of Wisconsin 2013–2014 Blue Book pg.910
- "Marinette High School: Teachers > Maggie Nygren > About the Teacher". Mhs.marinette.k12.wi.us. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- State of Wisconsin 2011-2012 Blue Book pg. 909
- "Elections : Elections in Wisconsin" (PDF). Legis.wisconsin.gov. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "Elections : Marriage or Legal Status Recognized in Wisconsin" (PDF). Legis.wisconsin.org. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
|Non-profit organization positions|
|President of the United States Jaycees
|Wisconsin State Assembly|
|Wisconsin State Representative - 89th District
2007 – present