Pack was in the first company of Mormon pioneers to cross the plains with Brigham Young. He held the ranks of Captain of Fifty in the company as well as Colonel in its military organization. At the time of Joseph Smith's death, Pack was serving as a missionary in New Jersey with Ezra T. Benson.
Pack served with John Taylor as one of the first Mormon missionaries in France beginning in 1849. Pack was in this mission until 1852, but he spent most of his time preaching in the Channel Islands.
Wives of John Pack
- Married his first wife Julia Ives on October 10, 1832 in Watertown, New York
- Married his second wife Ruth Mosher in March of 1845 in Nauvoo, Illinois
- Married his third wife Nancy Aurelia Boothe on January 21, 1846 in Nauvoo, Illinois
- Married his fourth wife Eliza Jane Graham on October 14, 1849 in Nauvoo, Illinois
- Married his fifth wife Mary Jane Walker on September 15, 1852 in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Married his sixth wife Jessie Bell Stirling on January 16, 1864 in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Married his seventh wife Lucy Jane Giles on May 2, 1865 in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Married his eighth wife Jane Robison on July 20, 1870
Ward Eaton Pack, one of Pack's sons, twice served as president of the Hawaiian Mission of the LDS Church. He also served in the presidency of the Cache Stake, which covered all of Cache County, Utah and into Wyoming at the time. Ward Eaton's daughter, Grace, married Charles A. Callis, who was later a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
The John Pack Family Association
The John Pack Family Association (founded in the 1950s) holds yearly John Pack descendant family reunions, typically at This Is the Place Heritage Park near the end of the summer. They also contributed to build a replica of the John Pack home at This Is the Place Heritage Park.
- Bitton, Davis. The Redoubtable John Pack: Pioneer, Proselyter, Patriarch. (John Pack Family Association, 1982) p. 7, 11
- Bitton. The Redoutable John Pack. p. 31
- Smith, Joseph. with Roberts, B. H. as editor. History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1932-1951) Vol. 6, p. 149
- Smith, Joseph Fielding. Essentials In Church History. (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1971) p. 360
- Times and Seasons, Vol. 5, No. 8, p. 505
- Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret News Press, 1941) p. 190
- Bitton. Redoutable John Pack. p. 113-137
- Bitton. Redoubtable John Pack. p. 171