John Potter (American football)
No. -- Free agent
|Date of birth:January 24, 1990|
|Place of birth: Kalamazoo, Michigan|
|High school: Grand Haven (MI)|
|College: Western Michigan|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 7 / Pick: 251|
|Debuted in 2012 for the Buffalo Bills|
Career NFL statistics as of 2013
John Potter (born January 24, 1990) is an American football placekicker who is currently a free agent. The Buffalo Bills selected him in the seventh round, 251st overall, of the 2012 NFL Draft. He played college football at Western Michigan University.
Potter left Western Michigan as the all-time leader in career points (333), consecutive point after touchdowns (PATs) made in a season (57) and consecutive PATs made in a career (129). His 129 consecutive PATs is also a Mid-American Conference (MAC) record. Potter recorded 36 touchbacks his senior season which ranked third in the nation. Potter also holds the school record for tackles by a kicker (36). In addition, he scored a rushing touchdown on a fake field goal, ran in a two-point conversion and recovered two fumbles on kickoff coverage.
Potter was named third team All-MAC his junior and senior season. He was also named conference special teams player of the week four times. He was named first team Academic All-American his senior season and graduated summa cum laude.
Potter was selected in the seventh round, 251st overall, by the Buffalo Bills in the 2012 NFL Draft. He was the kickoff specialist for the first six weeks of the season, registering 13 touchbacks on 26 kickoffs. He was released on November 6, 2012.
Potter signed with the Washington Redskins on June 12, 2013. He was released on August 26, 2013. The Redskins re-signed him on September 14 after an injury to the incumbent kicker Kai Forbath. On October 1, 2013, he was released, along with Phillip Merling, in order to make room on the roster for the reinstatement of Rob Jackson and Jarvis Jenkins.
- "Football Records: Scoring". Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- "#17 John Potter". Western Michigan University. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- Jones, Mike (June 12, 2013). "Redskins waive DE Worthington and TE Peterson, add WR Henderson, K Potter". Washington Post. Retrieved June 12, 2013.
- Tinsman, Brian (August 26, 2013). "Redskins Trim Roster Ahead Of Cuts". redskins.com. Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- Tinsman, Brian (September 14, 2013). "Redskins Waive Pat White, Sign Potter". redskins.com. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- Rogers, Justin (December 31, 2013). "Detroit Lions sign 10 players, including two kickers, to futures contracts". mlive.com. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- Kelly, Omar (August 15, 2014). "Miami Dolphins swap out kickers, sign John Potter". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved August 15, 2014.
- Miami Dolphins on Twitter: The team has waived tackle Steven Baker, safety Demetrius Wright and waived/injured kicker John Potter.