John Pritchard (bishop)
|The Rt Revd
|Bishop of Oxford|
|Diocese||Diocese of Oxford|
|In office||2007–31 October 2014 (retired)|
|Successor||TBA (acting bishop: Colin Fletcher)|
|Other posts||Bishop of Jarrow
22 April 1948 |
Salford, Greater Manchester
|Residence||Richmond, North Yorkshire|
|Parents||Neil Pritchard and Winifred Savill|
|Children||2 daughters; Amanda and Nicola|
|Alma mater||St Peter's College, Oxford|
Pritchard was born on 22 April 1948 in Salford, Lancashire. He was educated at Arnold School in Blackpool before studying law at St Peter's College, Oxford. He received a Certificate in Pastoral Theology at Ridley Hall, Cambridge.
He was ordained as a priest in 1972. From 1972 to 1976 he served as a curate at St Martin in the Bull Ring, Birmingham and, from 1976 to 1980, he was Youth Chaplain and Assistant Director of Education in the Diocese of Bath and Wells. In 1980 he became priest in charge of Wilton, Taunton. From 1988 he was Director of Pastoral Studies at Cranmer Hall, Durham and, from 1993, the college's warden. In 1996, he became Archdeacon of Canterbury and a canon residentiary of Canterbury Cathedral. He was consecrated as suffragan Bishop of Jarrow in January 2002.
On 11 December 2006 it was announced that Pritchard would become the 42nd Bishop of Oxford. Having taken office at his confirmation-of-election in London on 23 March 2007, he began his ministry in the diocese on 8 June 2007 after a service of inauguration at Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford. In 2008, he supported the application by Muslims in Oxford to broadcast the adhan from the minaret of a mosque. As a result, he received hostile comments and letters of complaint.
- John Pritchard, Esq. (1948–1972)
- The Revd John Pritchard (1972–1996)
- The Ven John Pritchard (1996–2002)
- The Rt Revd John Pritchard (2002—present)
- Practical Theology in Action, SPCK (1996), ISBN 0-281-05012-0
- The Intercessions Handbook, SPCK (1997), ISBN 0-281-04979-3
- Beginning Again, SPCK (2000), ISBN 0-281-05265-4
- Living the Gospel Stories Today, SPCK (2001), ISBN 0-281-05365-0
- How to Pray, SPCK (2002), ISBN 0-281-05454-1
- The Second Intercessions Handbook, SPCK (2004), ISBN 0-281-05649-8
- Living Easter Through the Year, SPCK (2005), ISBN 0-281-05709-5
- How to Explain Your Faith, SPCK (2006), ISBN 0-8146-3178-9
- The Life and Work of a Priest, SPCK (2007) ISBN 0-281-05748-6
- Going to Church, SPCK (2009) ISBN 978-0-281-05810-5
- God Lost and Found, SPCK (2011) ISBN 978-0-281-06352-9
- Why Christianity Makes Sense, SPCK (2014) ISBN 978-0-281-06764-0, eBook ISBN 978-0-281-06765-7
- Diocese of Oxford – Bishop John lays down his staff (Accessed 1 November 2014)
- ‘OXFORD, Bishop of’, Who's Who 2012, A & C Black, 2012; online edition, Oxford University Press, December 2011 Accessed 8 May 2012
- Diocese of Oxford — Bishops and Archdeacons
- "Birthdays", The Guardian, 22 April 2014
- Bishopric of Oxford
- Bates, Stephen (13 March 2008). "People". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-03-12.
- "Bishop's death threats over mosque plan". The Daily Telegraph. 11 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- "Bishop receives death threats for backing Muslim prayer call". Islamic Republic News Agency. 11 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
|Warden of Cranmer Hall
|Church of England titles|
|Archdeacon of Canterbury
|Bishop of Jarrow
|Bishop of Oxford
Colin Fletcher, acting bishop