John Raphael (sportsman)
Raphael in England rugby jersey
|Full name||John Edward Raphael|
30 April 1882|
|Died||11 June 1917
|Batting style||Right-handed batsman|
|Bowling style||Right-arm slow-medium bowler|
|Domestic team information|
|Source: CricketArchive, 21 August 1913|
The son of multi-millionaire financier Albert Raphael, who was part of a banking dynasty that in the 1920s rivalled the Rothschild family, John Raphael was educated at Merchant Taylors, Raphael won his first cap in 1902 when England took on Wales in the Home Nations Championship. A centre, winger or full-back, he also played in the 1905 and 1906 Championships as well as in Test matches against both France and New Zealand. The only points of his career came through a try which he scored in 1906 when playing Scotland. He captained the 1910 British Lions tour to Argentina, which included of the South American nation's inaugural Test match.
Raphael, who was Jewish, played his cricket as a specialist batsman and most of his appearances at first-class level were for either Surrey or Oxford University. He also played first-class matches for the Marylebone Cricket Club, Gentlemen of England, London County and an England XI amongst others.
Four of Raphael's five centuries were scored for Oxford University, including his career best score of 201 which he made against Yorkshire, who had the bowling of Wilfred Rhodes at their disposal. It remains the only double hundred to be made by an Oxford cricketer against Yorkshire. His only century for Surrey came in the 1904 County Championship, which he captained his county for much of, scoring 111 against Worcestershire.
- List of international rugby union players killed in action during the First World War
- List of select Jewish cricketers
- List of select Jewish rugby union players
- Encyclopedia Judaica, Second Edition, volume 19, p146
- Encyclopedia Judaica
- "John Raphael". Scrum.com.
- "1910 South Africa & Argentina". British and Irish Lions website.
- "History of Jews in Other Sports". Jewish Sports website.
- "First-Class Matches played by John Raphael". CricketArchive.
- "Oxford University v Yorkshire 1904". CricketArchive.
- "Most Runs in an Innings for Oxford University". CricketArchive.
- "Worcestershire v Surrey 1904". CricketArchive.
- "John Raphael". Cricinfo.