John Selwyn (bishop)
Selwyn was born in Waimate, New Zealand, the youngest son of George Augustus Selwyn and his wife Sarah Richardson the only daughter of Sir John Richardson. His father was the first Bishop of New Zealand who gave his name to Selwyn College, Cambridge. Selwyn was educated at Eton College and Trinity College, Cambridge, graduating in 1866. Like his father, Selwyn rowed for Cambridge and took part in the Boat Races of 1864 and 1866, both of which were won by Oxford. In 1864 he won the Silver Goblets at Henley Royal Regatta partnering Robert Kinglake and beating Edwin Brickwood and his brother in the final.
Selwyn was ordained deacon by his father at Lichfield in 1869 and became a priest the following year. He served as curate of All Saints Church, Alrewas, Staffordshire from 1869 to 1870, then curate of St George's, Wolverhampton from 1870 to 1871, before promotion to Vicar of St George's. In 1873 Selwyn travelled to Melanesia as a missionary, and four years later was consecrated Bishop of Melanesia.
Illness forced him to return to England in 1892. Selwyn was appointed the second Master of Selwyn College, Cambridge in 1893, a position he held until his death. From 1892–1895 he also served as honorary chaplain to Queen Victoria.
The south east window of the chapel of Selwyn College was dedicated to the memory of John Selwyn in 1900.
His son George August Selwyn is buried at the Parish of the Ascension Burial Ground in Cambridge; he died in 1912, aged 16.
- "Selwyn, John Richardson (SLWN862JR)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Walter Bradford Woodgate Boating 1888
- Henley Royal Regatta Results of Final Races 1839-1939
- Selwyn College 1882–1973: A Brief History
- John Selwyn at Find a Grave
- Love in Self-Sacrifice, by B.T. Dudley (1877) sermon at Selwyn's consecration
- Foreign Missions, by John Richardson Selwyn
- Foreign Service Order: A Paper Read at the Church Congress, Shrewsbury, October 8, 1896, by J.R. Selwyn
- Bishop John Selwyn: A Memoir, by F. D. How (1899)
- Bayne, Ronald (1901). "Selwyn, John Richardson". In Sidney Lee. Dictionary of National Biography, 1901 supplement. London: Smith, Elder & Co. pp. 338–339.
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Bishop of Melanesia
|Master of Selwyn College, Cambridge
Alexander Francis Kirkpatrick