John Robbins (author)
October 26, 1947 |
|Residence||Santa Cruz, California|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Known for||Robbins at the Miami Book Fair International, 1991|
John Robbins (born October 26, 1947) is an American author, who popularized the links among nutrition, environmentalism, and animal rights. He is the author of the 1987 Diet for a New America, an exposé on connections between diet, physical health, animal cruelty, and environmentalism.
Robbins is the son of Irma Robbins and Baskin-Robbins co-founder Irv Robbins. He graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1969, and received a Master's Degree from Antioch College, in 1976. Rather than following the ice-cream parlor legacy of his father, he left the company to seek a simpler life. He and his wife Deo were married on March 10, 1967. Robbins advocates a plant-based diet for ethical, environmental and health reasons. He updated these ideas in his 2001 book The Food Revolution, which includes information on organic food, genetically modified food, and factory farming. His 2006 book Healthy at 100, published by Random House, was printed on 100% post-consumer non-chlorine bleached paper, a first for a book from a major U.S. publisher.
In Diet for a New America, he advocates a "plant-based", vegan diet and contains Robbins's opinions on the meat and dairy industries, world hunger and human health.
In 1988, Robbins founded EarthSave, an international, non-profit organization. The organization was born out of the reader response to his Diet for a New America. The organization works to promote healthy, environmentally sound food choices, produce independence from the medical system and raise awareness of "the ecological destruction and cruelty linked to the production of food animals."
EarthSave's head office is in New York, USA, with local chapters throughout the United States and Canada. "Taste of Health" is their annual vegetarian food festival.
Earthsave Canada was established as a registered non-profit charity in British Columbia March 1990. earthsave.ca
- Diet for a New America: How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness and the Future of Life on Earth, 1987.
- May All Be Fed: Diet For a New World, 1992.
- Reclaiming Our Health: Exploding the Medical Myth and Embracing the Source of True Healing, 1996.
- The Awakened Heart: Meditations on Finding Harmony in a Changing World, 1997.
- The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World, 2001.
- Healthy at 100: The Scientifically Proven Secrets of the World’s Healthiest and Longest-Lived Peoples, 2006.
- The New Good Life: Living Better Than Ever in an Age of Less, 2010, Ballantine Books, 304 pages (ISBN 978-0345519849).
- No Happy Cows: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the Food Revolution, 2012.
- Burros, Marian (December 2, 1992). "Eating Well [Biography]", The New York Times, p. C4. Retrieved May 27, 2010.
- Robbins, John (2001). The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World. Conari Press. ISBN 1-57324-702-2.
- Responses to Healthy at 100 – Healthy at 100 ::: by John Robbins
- EarthSave International
- About John Robbins profile from his Healthy at 100 website
- Interview with John, Deo, and Ocean Robbins, interviewed by Morissa Lou Williams
- Living Better in An Age of Less, interviewed by Kathleen Slattery-Moschkau