John Rogers is a screenwriter, comedian, film producer, and comic book writer.
Early life and education
Rogers was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, and attended McGill University in Montreal. While at McGill, he wrote for the school's comedy magazine The Red Herring.
Rogers wrote the first draft of the script for the live-action movie Transformers, released in 2007. He wrote an early screenplay for Catwoman and created the cartoon series Jackie Chan Adventures. He also co-wrote the science fiction adventure film The Core. In 2004 Rogers wrote and executive-produced a television pilot based on the graphic novel Global Frequency. Although the pilot was never aired on network television, it achieved brief notoriety when it was leaked onto the internet and accrued an international fan base. He created and served as executive producer for the TNT television series Leverage, which ran for five seasons from 2008 to 2012.
Apart from his work in movies and television, Rogers has also worked in the comic book industry. In March 2006, he co-created the new Blue Beetle, Jaime Reyes, in the relaunch of the Blue Beetle comic book for DC Comics with plotter Keith Giffen and artist Cully Hamner. He has also written comics for BOOM! Studios. Rogers' stories are included in BOOM!'s Zombie Tales, Cthulhu Tales, Pirate Tales and What Were They Thinking? anthologies. Rogers currently writes the Dungeons & Dragons comic series for IDW Publishing.
Rogers has also worked on role-playing games, and is the author of Feywild chapter of the 4th edition Dungeons & Dragons, Manual of the Planes (2008).
- Can't Stop the Music – Bronte Woodard and Allan Carr (1980)
- Mommie Dearest – Frank Yablans, Frank Perry, Tracy Hotchner and Robert Getchell (1981)
- Inchon – Robin Moore and Laird Koenig (1982)
- The Lonely Lady – John Kershaw, Shawn Randall and Ellen Shephard (1983)
- Bolero – John Derek (1984)
- Rambo: First Blood Part II – Sylvester Stallone, James Cameron and Kevin Jarre (1985)
- Howard the Duck – Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz (1986)
- Leonard Part 6 – Jonathan Reynolds and Bill Cosby (1987)
- Cocktail – Heywood Gould (1988)
- Harlem Nights – Eddie Murphy (1989)
- The Adventures of Ford Fairlane – Daniel Waters, James Cappe & David Arnott (1990)
- Hudson Hawk – Steven E. de Souza, Daniel Waters, Bruce Willis and Robert Kraft (1991)
- Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot – Blake Snyder, William Osborne and William Davies – (1992)
- Indecent Proposal – Amy Holden Jones (1993)
- The Flintstones –Jim Jennewein, Steven E. de Souza, Tom S. Parker and various others (1994)
- Showgirls – Joe Eszterhas (1995)
- Striptease – Andrew Bergman (1996)
- The Postman – Eric Roth and Brian Helgeland (1997)
- An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn – Joe Eszterhas (1998)
- Wild Wild West – Jim Thomas, John Thomas, S. S. Wilson, Brent Maddock, Jeffrey Price and Peter S. Seaman (1999)
- Battlefield Earth – Corey Mandell and J. David Shapiro (2000)
- Freddy Got Fingered – Tom Green & Derek Harvie (2001)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones – George Lucas and Jonathan Hales (2002)
- Gigli – Martin Brest (2003)
- Catwoman – Theresa Rebeck, John Brancato, Michael Ferris and John Rogers (2004)
- Dirty Love – Jenny McCarthy (2005)
- Basic Instinct 2 – Leora Barish and Henry Bean (2006)
- I Know Who Killed Me – Jeffrey Hammond (2007)
- The Love Guru – Mike Myers & Graham Gordy (2008)
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen – Ehren Kruger, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (2009)
- The Last Airbender – M. Night Shyamalan (2010)
- Jack and Jill – Steve Koren and Adam Sandler, story by Ben Zook (2011)
- That's My Boy - David Caspe (2012)
- Movie 43 - Steve Baker, Ricky Blitt, Will Carlough, Tobias Carlson, Jacob Fleisher, Patrik Forsberg, Will Graham, James Gunn, Claes Kjellstrom, Jack Kukoda, Bob Odenkirk, Bill O'Malley, Matthew Alec Portenoy, Greg Pritikin, Rocky Russo, Olle Sarri, Elizabeth Wright Shapiro, Jeremy Sosenko, Jonathan van Tulleken and Jonas Wittenmark (2013)
- Saving Christmas - Darren Doane and Cheston Hervey (2014)