John Ross (academic)
John Ross is a British academic, journalist, blogger, and economic commentator who previously was a left-wing political activist and worked as an economic advisor to Ken Livingstone when he was Mayor of London.
Ross joined the Trotskyist International Marxist Group (IMG) in the late 1960s. He worked with Bob Pennington to form the IMG Opposition Group. Ross was a member of the leadership of the IMG in the early 1980s when it became known as Socialist Action, but he gradually lost the support of much of its membership.
He wrote the book Thatcher and Friends - the Anatomy of the Tory Party (1983), and the journal article "Management Philosophy of the Greater London Authority".
He was Ken Livingstone's Policy Director of Economic and Business Policy.
- Patrick Avaakum, "Bob Pennington and the Trotskyist archipelago", Workers Liberty, April 1997, pp.42-44
- Pitt, Bob. Review: The Economics of the Left Opposition in What Next? Marxist Discussion Journal.
- Oliver, Johnathan. Ken Livingstone’s aides ‘in secret Marxist cell’ in The Sunday Times, January 20, 2008.
- Bright, Martin. I now believe Ken is a disgrace to his office in London Evening Standard, January 21, 2008.
- Greater London Authority. London's Economy Today, Issue 1, August 2002.
- John Ross "Profile". Guardian.co.uk.