|Birth name||John Rowles|
|Also known as||John Edward Rowles|
March 26, 1947 |
Whakatane, New Zealand
John Edward Rowles OBE (born 26 March 1947) is a New Zealand singer. He was most popular in the 1970s and early 1980s, and best known in New Zealand for his song Cheryl Moana Marie, which he had written about his kid sister.
Rowles was born in Whakatane, New Zealand, and is part Māori. His father, Eddie Hohapata Rowles, played for the 1938 Māori All Blacks. His mother was Pākehā. He was brought up in Kawerau, in the North Island of New Zealand. Rowles' birth name was simply John Rowles; he added the middle name "Edward" after his brother of that name died at a young age.
Rowles is best known in New Zealand and Australia, though he has also performed in the United States, particularly Las Vegas, Nevada and Hawaii, where he was managed by Kimo Wilder McVay. In the United Kingdom he was best known for the hit "If I Only Had Time", which reached number 3 in the UK Singles Chart in spring 1968, and stayed in the chart for eighteen weeks. This was a cover version of the French song "Je n'aurai pas le temps" with which the French singer Michel Fugain, had a hit in 1967.
Rowles had a cameo role in the 2008 New Zealand film Second-Hand Wedding.
Dancing With The Stars
In early 2009 Rowles was selected to appear in Dancing with the Stars for 2009. He was partnered with Krystal Stewart. Under doctors orders he had to retire from the competition but has since recovered.
Rowles released his autobiography, If I Only Had Time in October 2012.
- Interview with Jim Mora on Eight months to Mars programme, Radio New Zealand National, 1pm NZT, Monday, 16 May 2011
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 472. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Variety Artists Club of NZ Benny Award Recipients".
- "Second Hand Wedding (2008) - IMDb".
- New Zealand Music of the '60s and '70s
- A New Zealand Herald article on Rowles: October 2006
- Official site
- Promoter of John Rowles concerts worldwide