John Sainty (civil servant)
Sir John is the son of Christopher Lawrence Sainty, of Clayton Priory, Hassocks, Sussex, and his first wife Nancy Lee Miller, of Madison, Wisconsin and Chicago, Illinois. He is married to Frances Sherlock and has three sons:
- Christopher Sainty, appointed in 2011 as Deputy Head of Mission at the British Embassy in Rome,
- Henry Sainty, Solicitor, and
- Edward Sainty.
Sir John is also the elder half-brother of the genealogist and art dealer Guy Stair Sainty.
After serving as the Private Secretary to the Leader of the House and Clerk of the Journals of the House of Lords, he was appointed Clerk of the Parliaments in 1983, retiring in 1990. He was knighted in the 1986 Queen's Birthday Honours, when he was made a Knight Commander of the Bath (KCB). He was later appointed a Senior Fellow of the Institute of Historical Research and has published numerous articles and studies of office holders under the Crown. He was also a Commissioner of the Historical Manuscripts Commission prior to its merger with the Public Record Office to form The National Archives.
- "Chris Sainty". Gov.uk. Government of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- The London Gazette: . 1 August 1983. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- The London Gazette: . 13 June 1986. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- The London Gazette: . 24 December 1990. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- The London Gazette: . 18 December 1997. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
|This article about a British historian or genealogist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|