|Bishop of Norwich|
|Diocese||Diocese of Norwich|
|Term ended||6 July 1325|
|Other posts||Bishop-elect of Ely
|Consecration||15 November 1299|
|Died||6 July 1325
|Parents||Salomon & Alice|
John Salmon (died 1325) was a medieval Bishop of Norwich.
Salmon's family was hereditary goldsmiths to the diocese of Ely. His parents were Salomon and Alice, and he was the eldest of three brothers. He entered the Benedictine priory of Ely sometime before 1291. He was subprior of Ely Cathedral before his election to be Prior of Ely in 1292.
Salmon was elected to the see of Ely in 1298 but King Edward I of England objected, wanting the monks to elect his chancellor John Langton instead. Each side appealed to Rome, and both elections were quashed by Pope Boniface VIII on 5 June 1299. As a consolation, he was provided to the see of Norwich between 5 June and 18 June 1299 as he was still prior on 5 June. He was consecrated on 15 November 1299.
In 1307 Salmon helped arrange the marriage of the new king, Edward II, and in 1309 he was sent by the king to Rome to obtain the return from exile of Piers Gaveston. On 20 March 1311 he was elected one of the Lords Ordainers to help King Edward II govern. Over the next few years he was often in the king's service, being sent on diplomatic missions and negotiating with the earl of Lancaster for the king.
Salmon occupied the office of Lord Chancellor of England from 1320 to 1323. He accompanied the king on his travels, and helped negotiate with France and Scotland. He resigned the office in 1323 due to ill health, but continued to work on the king's behalf.
- Buck "Salmon, John (d. 1325)" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- British History Online Priors of Ely
- British History Online Bishops of Ely
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 261
- British History Online Bishops of Norwich
- Powell and Wallis House of Lords p. 275 and footnote 78
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 86
- British History Online Bishops of Ely accessed on 25 October 2007
- British History Online Bishops of Norwich accessed on 29 October 2007
- British History Online Priors of Ely accessed on 29 October 2007
- Buck, M. C. (2004). "Salmon, John (d. 1325)" ((subscription or UK public library membership required)). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (January 2008 revised ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/24553. Retrieved 4 April 2008.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Powell, J. Enoch; Wallis, Keith (1968). The House of Lords in the Middle Ages: A History of the English House of Lords to 1540. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson.
|Catholic Church titles|
William of Louth
|Bishop of Ely
|Bishop of Norwich
|Wikisource has the text of the 1885–1900 Dictionary of National Biography's article about Salmon, John.|