John Seely Brown, also known as "JSB", is a researcher who specializes in organizational studies with a particular bent towards the organizational implications of computer-supported activities.
His research interests include the management of radical innovation, digital culture, ubiquitous computing, autonomous computing and organizational learning. JSB is also the namesake of John Seely Brown Symposium on Technology and Society, held at the University of Michigan School of Information. The first JSB symposium in 2000 featured a lecture by Stanford Professor of Law Lawrence Lessig, titled "Architecting Innovation," and a panel discussion, "The Implications of Open Source Software," featuring Brown, Lessig and the William D. Hamilton Collegiate Professor of Complex Systems at SI, Michael D. Cohen. Subsequent events were held in 2002, 2006 and 2008.
Brown graduated from Brown University in 1962 with degrees in physics and mathematics. In 1972 he received a PhD from the University of Michigan in computer and communication sciences.
Major positions and roles 
Education, degrees and awards 
- John Seely Brown, Douglas Thomas, A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change, CreateSpace 2011. ISBN 9781456458881.
- John Seely Brown, Foreword, in: Toru Iiyoshi M.S. Vijay Kumar, Opening Up Education: The Collective Advancement of Education through Open Technology, Open Content, and Open Knowledge, The MIT Press 2010. ISBN 9780262515016.
- John Seely Brown, John Hagel III, Lang Davison, The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things In Motion, Basic Books 2010. ISBN 9780465019359.
- John Seely Brown, John Hagel III, How World Of Warcraft Promotes Innovation; in: Willms Buhse/Ulrike Reinhard: Wenn Anzugträger auf Kapuzenpullis treffen (When Suits meet Hoodies), whois-Verlag 2009. ISBN 9783934013988.
- John Seely Brown, John Hagel III, The Only Sustainable Edge: Why Business Strategy Depends On Productive Friction And Dynamic Specialization, Harvard Business Review Press 2005. ISBN 9781591397205.
- John Seely Brown, Stephen Denning, Katalina Groh, Laurence Prusak, Storytelling in Organizations: Why Storytelling Is Transforming 21st Century Organizations and Management, Butterworth-Heinemann 2004. ISBN 9780750678209.
- John Seely Brown, John Hagel III, Out of The Box: Strategies for Achieving Profits Today and Growth Tomorrow Through Web Services, Harvard Business Press 2002. ISBN 9781578516803
- John Seely Brown, Paul Duguid, The Social Life of Information, Harvard Business Review Press 2000. ISBN 9780875847627.
- John Seely Brown (Ed.), Seeing Differently: Insights on Innovation, Harvard Business Press 1997. ISBN 9780875847559
- John Seely Brown, Research that Reinvents the Corporation, Harvard Business Review 1991.
- John Seely Brown, D. Sleemann (Eds.), Intelligent Tutoring Systems, Academic Press 1982. ISBN 9780126486810
- More than 100 papers in academic journals
External links