John Semper, Jr. is a screenwriter, producer and story editor with numerous credits in animation for television. He has worked for such diverse companies as Disney Studios, Warner Bros. Animation and Hanna-Barbera Productions during a career which has involved the development of projects for Jim Henson, George Lucas, Stan Lee, Rob Minkoff and others.
Semper created the English-language dialogue for two of Hayao Miyazaki's acclaimed animated features, Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986) and Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), and co-wrote the screenplay for the live-action comedy, Class Act (1992).
During the 1990s, Semper was producer/story editor of Spider-Man: The Animated Series. which ran from 1994 to 1998.
Semper’s most recent creation is the family comedy-horror web series Creeporia. The character of Creeporia was first introduced in the online series titled Crypt of Creeporia, a live-action/animated blend of humor and horror. The role of Creeporia in the original webseries was played by Kommerina DeYoung.
His books include The Singular Affair of the Missing Ball: A Sherlock Whippet Mystery (Lulu Press, 2005), as well as several books based on his scripts for the PBS pre-school series Jay Jay the Jet Plane, and the WB action/adventure series Static Shock.
"Day of the Chameleon", an episode Semper wrote for Spider-Man: The Animated Series, brought him a 1995 Annie Award nomination for Best Individual Achievement for Writing in the Field of Animation. In 1996, the series was nominated for an NAACP Image Award in the category Outstanding Animated/Live Action/Dramatic Youth or Children's Series/Special. In 2004, Semper was nominated for a Daytime Emmy for his work on Static Shock.
Partial list of script credits
- Pink Panther and Pals (2010)
- Jay Jay the Jet Plane (2001)
- Static Shock (2000)
- Clifford the Big Red Dog (2000)
- Extreme Ghostbusters (1997)
- The Incredible Hulk (1996)
- Spider-Man (1994)
- The Puzzle Place (1994)
- Class Act (1992)
- Kid 'n' Play (1990)
- The New Adventures of the Snorks (1988)
- Fraggle Rock (1987)
- DuckTales (1987)
- Bionic Six (1987)
- Moon Dreamers (1986)
- The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo (1985)
- Kissyfur (1985)
- The Snorks (1984)
- The Pink Panther and Sons (1984)
- SuperFriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984)
- The All-New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show (1983)
- Alvin & the Chipmunks (1983)
- The Shirt Tales (1982)
- The Biskitts (1982)
- The Smurfs (1981)
- John Semper official site
- John Semper's Crypt of Creeporia
- Interview with John Semper on Spider-Man
- Marvel Animation Age: John Semper interview
- John Semper Talks Static Shock