John Sexton (photographer)
John Sexton is an American fine art photographer who specializes in black and white photographs.
John Sexton was born in 1942. Education: Harvard Law School, Harvard University, Fordham University.
Sexton worked for Ansel Adams from 1979 to 1984 (when Adams died), first as Technical and Photographic Assistant, then as Technical Consultant.
Sexton has taught at numerous photographic workshops in the past, and continues to do so. He has also lectured at many museums and universities. His work is in numerous permanent collections and exhibitions, and he has been the subject of many articles in the photographic press.
Honors and awards
- North American Nature Photography Association, Lifetime Achievement Award, 2005
- Kodak Professional Icon, 2004
- Kodak Professional Legend Online, 2000
- Cypress College, Thirtieth Anniversary Outstanding Alumnus. 1997
- Photographic Book of the Year Awards, First Place Monograph: Listen to the Trees, 1994
- Honorary Master of Science, Brooks Institute of Photography, 1990
- Imogen Cunningham Award, 1981
The following books of John Sexton's work have been published:
- Recollections: Three Decades of Photographs, 2006. ISBN 0-9672188-8-8
- Places of Power: The Aesthetics of Technology, 2000. ISBN 0-9672188-1-0
- Listen to the Trees, 1994. ISBN 0-8212-1952-9
- Quiet Light, 1990. ISBN 0-8212-1775-5
- John Sexton: Twenty Years of Photographs, major retrospective exhibition, Monterey Peninsula Museum of Art.
- Quiet Light, traveling exhibition organized by the United States Information Agency, toured in fifteen countries in Europe, 1994 to 1996
- Evolutions: International Center of Photography, New York City, 1991.
Selected One Person Exhibitions
- International Center of Photography, New York, NY
- Clarence Kennedy Gallery
- Polaroid Corporation Cambridge, MA
- The Weston Gallery, Carmel, CA
- Photo Gallery International, Tokyo, Japan
- Focus Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- The Afterimage Gallery, Dallas, TX
- Photokina, Cologne, Germany
- Alinder Gallery, Gualala, CA
- Folio Gallery, Calgary, Canada
- The Ansel Adams Gallery, Yosemite National Park, CA
- Susan Spiritus Gallery, Costa Mesa, CA
- The Friends of Photography, Carmel, CA
- Kathleen Ewing Gallery, Washington, D.C.
- http://www.pdngallery.com/legends/sexton/ PDN Legends Online
- Recollections: Three Decades of Photographs (ISBN 0-9672188-8-8)
- Places of Power: The Aesthetics of Technology (ISBN 0-9672188-1-0)
- Listen to the Trees (ISBN 0-8212-1952-9)
- Quiet Light (ISBN 0-8212-1775-5)
- John Sexton's website