John Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset
John Michael Edward Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset FRICS DL (born Bath, 30 December 1952), styled Lord Seymour between 1954 and 1984, is the present holder of the Dukedom of Somerset and a landowner in Wiltshire and Devon.
Somerset is the son of Percy Seymour, 18th Duke of Somerset, and Jane Thomas. His paternal grandmother, Edith Mary Parker, was a daughter of William Parker and Lucinda Steeves, making the 19th Duke of Somerset a Steeves descendant.
He was educated at Hawtreys and Eton College and inherited the dukedom in 1984, on the death of his father. Having lost his seat in the House of Lords under the House of Lords Act 1999 he returned as an elected hereditary peer at a by election in December 2014. He sits as a Crossbencher.
At All Saints' Church, Maiden Bradley, on 20 May 1978, the duke married Judith-Rose Hull, daughter of John Folliett Hull. They have four children:
- Sebastian Seymour, Lord Seymour (b. Queen Charlotte's Hospital, London, 3 February 1982), m. Lagrasse, France, 27 August 2006 Arlette Marie Leontine Lafayeedney
- Lady Sophia Rose Seymour (b. 1987)
- Lady Henrietta Charlotte Seymour (b. 1989)
- Lord Charles Thomas George Seymour (b. 1992)
|Ancestors of John Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset|
- ‘SOMERSET, 19th Duke of’, in Who's Who 2012 (A. & C. Black, 2012); online edition (subscription required) by Oxford University Press, December 2011, accessed 8 December 2011
- "Crossbench Hereditary Peers' By-Election, December 2014". Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- Ducal House of Somerset
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Somerset
- John Seymour, 19th Duke of Somerset
|Peerage of England|
|Duke of Somerset
1984 – present
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Duke of Norfolk
His Grace The Duke of Somerset
The Duke of Richmond