|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Isle of Man
John Shimmin BEd is a Member of the House of Keys for Douglas West. He was also the Minister of Economic Development of the Isle of Man Government until following the findings of an inquiry into the Isle of Man Government's loans to the Manx-based Sefton Group, he resigned his ministerial post in disgrace.
Shimmin was born in Douglas in 1960 and educated at St Ninian's High School, Douglas and the Worcester College of Higher Education. He was then a teacher from 1982 until entering politics in 1996. He was elected as MHK for Douglas West in 1996 at his first attempt.
In July 2006 he announced he would stand for Chief Minister of the Isle of Man after the 2006 General Election. In November 2006 he was re-elected into Tynwald, coming second place after Geoff Corkish in West Douglas.
He stood for the position of Chief Minister, but failed to gain the nomination by Tynwald and was appointed Local Government and the Environment Minister by Chief Minister Tony Brown in November 2006.
Shimmin has been reported as 'heavily criticising' fellow MHKs who wished to contribute at a commercial rate towards their Tynwald pensions.
- Minister of Economic Development, 2011–present
- Minister of Environment, Food and Agriculture, 2010 - 2011
- Minister of Local Government and the Environment, 2006–2010
- Minister of Home Affairs, 2005–2006
- Minister of Transport, 2002–2005
- Chairman of the Isle of Man Post Office, 1999–2002
- "Department Line-ups Announced". Isle of Man Today. 22 December 2006. Retrieved 30 July 2010.
- Manx Radio