John Slack (cricketer)
|Full name||John Kenneth Edward Slack|
23 December 1930|
Marylebone, London, England
|Died||6 May 2012
Cuddington, Buckinghamshire, England
|Bowling style||Right-arm off break|
|Domestic team information|
|Source: Cricinfo, 7 May 2011|
A right-handed batsman, Slack made his first-class debut for Cambridge University against Middlesex in 1954. He played 6 further first-class matches for the University in that year, the last coming against Oxford University. In his 7 first-class matches, he scored 434 runs at a batting average of 31.00, with two half centuries and a single century high score of 135. This came on debut against Middlesex.
Slack later joined Buckinghamshire, making his debut for the county in the 1964 Minor Counties Championship against Suffolk. Slack played Minor counties cricket for Buckinghamshire from 1964 to 1969, which included 40 Minor Counties Championship matches. He made his only List A appearance for Buckinghamshire against Middlesex in the Gillette Cup. In this match he scored 8 runs, before being dismissed by Fred Titmus. Slack captained the county in this match.
Outside of cricket he played rugby for Middlesex. By profession he was a solicitor, working for many years in London. He was appointed as a circuit judge in 1974, a position held for the next 26 years, during which he presided over Aylesbury Crown Court for many years. He was later appointed a Deputy Lieutenant for Buckinghamshire on 10 November 1995.
He died at Cuddington, Buckinghamshire, on 6 May 2012, having suffered a stroke two days previously.
- Dunhill, Lawrence (16 May 2012). "Former judge and Bucks cricket star dies". Bucks Free Press. Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- "First-Class Matches played by John Slack". CricketArchive. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "First-class Batting and Fielding For Each Team by John Slack". CricketArchive. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "Cambridge University v Middlesex, 1964". CricketArchive. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "Minor Counties Championship Matches played by John Slack". CricketArchive. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "List A Matches played by John Slack". CricketArchive. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "Middlesex v Buckinghamshire, 1969 Gillette Cup". CricketArchive. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- Mahood, John (15 May 2012). "Obituary – John Slack". Retrieved 27 May 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 10 November 1995. Retrieved 27 May 2012.