Speechly was born on 13 November 1836 in Whittlesey]], Cambridgeshire, the son of Thomas Kelfull Speechly and Sarah, née Bellars. He was educated at Oundle School and St John’s College, Cambridge and ordained in 1860 to a curacy in Peterborough. In 1862 he went to India as a Church Missionary Society missionary, and was stationed at Kunnamkulam until 1863 when he became Principal of the Cambridge Nicholson Institute (diocesan College), Cottayam (Kottayam) a post he held until 1869, and again from 1873 to 1876. He was curate of Hatford, Berkshire 1871-2, of St Mark's, Cambridge 1876-7, and of Horringer, Suffolk 1878. He was elevated to the Episcopate in St Paul's Cathedral on 25 July 1879. After returning to England in 1889, he was Bishop Commissary Diocese of Truro from 1889-91 in the absence of the bishop, George Howard Wilkinson; then Vicar of Faversham from 1892 until his death on 22 January 1898. He is buried at Whittlesey Cemetery.
Speechly married Mary Gray Grove in Trivandrum, India on 6 January 1863 (1835 Bolton, Lancashire – 1913 Richmond, Surrey), daughter of Major Henry Jones Grove and Mary Anne Sinclair. They had 4 daughters and 4 sons:
- Alice Mary Speechly, born 1 April 1864 Trivandrum, India, who married 25 July 1904 Rev. David Ewart Johnstone at St Philip's Church, Kensington.
- Bessie Sinclair Speechly, born 31 August 1865 Cottayam, India, who married 1889 Franklin Frank Ranger in Croydon and died 18 March 1949 Honiton, Devon.
- Harry Martindale Speechly, born 1867 Cochin, India, who married 30 July 1895 Mary Barrett in Wirral, and died 17 March 1951 Winnipeg
- Katharine Emily Speechly, born 28 October 1868 Cottayam, India, who married 18 January 1913 to Randolph Henry Wylde Curtis, and died 1948 Kensington.
- John Montgomery Speechly, born 28 April 1870 Ipswich, Suffolk, who married about 1923 Anne Bell Saunders and died 12 November 1953 Spiritwood, Saskatchewan.
- Andrew Leslie Grove Speechly, born 1872 Cambridge, who married firstly 1901 Angela Alice Brockell and secondly 1945 Gladys E. Bell, died 28 December 1949 Bromley
- Hilda Etheldreda Speechly, born 1877 Cambridge, married 1908 Charles Henry Wharton, died 26 September 1949 Honiton, Devon.
- Clive Aveling Speechly, born 1879
- "The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory" London, Hamilton & Co 1889
- 1891 census - RG12/1831 f.9 p.11
- Orationes et epistolae Cantabrigienses (1876-1909)
- University Intelligence The Times (London, England), Friday, Oct 30, 1863; pg. 5; Issue 24703
- "The Eagle", Vol XX, E. Johnson, Cambridge, 1899. p 218
- Dubai Mar Thoma Parish
- Indian Christianity
- “Who was Who” 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- Project Canterbury
- FOUR BISHOPS CONSECRATED . The Dundee Courier & Argus (Dundee, Scotland), Tuesday, July 29, 1879; pg. 6; Issue 8119. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
- Mason, Arthur James (1909) "Memoir of George Howard Wilkinson, Bishop of St. Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane and primus of the Scottish Church, formerly Bishop of Truro", Vol II. Longman, Green and Co.
- ECCLESIASTICAL NEWS. Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, April 29, 1892; Issue 13827
- GRO Register of Deaths: MAR 1898 2a 627 FAVERSHAM, John Martindale Speechly aged 61
- GRO Register of Marriages: MAR 1913 1a 217 KENSINGTON - Randolph H.W. Curtis = Katharine E. Speechly
- Margaret Anne Boechler, "Follow the Spirit" (www.ourroots.ca/toc.aspx?id=3145&qryID=82e792cf-7b3b-4a2a-9589-59f26acc8a11), pp 40-41
- GRO Register of Marriages: SEP 1945 2a 302 SURREY NE - Andrew L.G. Speechly = Gladys E. Bell
- GRO Register of Births: DEC 1877 3b 519 CAMBRIDGE - Hilda Etheldreda Speechly
- http://anglicanhistory.org/india/chatterton1924/20.html. (A History of the Church of England in India Since the Early Days of the East India Company by Eyre Chatterton, Bishop of Nagpur. Chapter XX: The Diocese of Travancore and Cochin, 1879. The Country of Fiords, Mountains, and Moplahs)
- http://www.csimichigan.org/CKD_Chapter2.htm. (The CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese by Rev. C. Y. Thomas. Chapter 2: Diocese of Travancore and Cochin)
- http://www.ellumpuramcsichurch.org/our-church.html: (St Mathias CSI Church Ellumpuram)
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Travancore and Cochin
Edward Noel Hodges