John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer
|The Right Honourable
The Earl Spencer
|8th Earl Spencer|
|Preceded by||7th Earl Spencer|
|Succeeded by||9th Earl Spencer|
|Born||Edward John Spencer
24 January 1924
London, England, UK
|Died||29 March 1992
Humana Hospital, Wellington, London, England, UK
|Spouse(s)||Frances Spencer, Viscountess Althorp
Raine Spencer, Countess Spencer
Education and military career 
Lord Spencer was born the son of Albert Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer and was educated at Eton, the Royal Military College at Sandhurst, and the Royal Agricultural College. A Captain in the Royal Scots Greys, Lord Spencer fought in the Second World War from 1944 to 1945, and was Mentioned in Despatches. From 1947 to 1950, Lord Spencer served as Aide-de-Camp to then-Governor of South Australia, Willoughby Norrie.
Politics and Royal service 
Lord Spencer held the offices of County Councillor for Northamptonshire (1952), High Sheriff of Northamptonshire (1959) and Justice of the Peace for Norfolk (1970). He served as Equerry to King George VI (1950–52) and to Queen Elizabeth II (1952–54), and was invested as a Member of the Royal Victorian Order (M.V.O.) in 1954.
- Lady Sarah McCorquodale (born 19 March 1955), married Neil Edmund McCorquodale on 17 May 1980 and had issue.
- Jane Fellowes, Baroness Fellowes (born 11 February 1957), married Robert Fellowes, Baron Fellowes in March 1978 and had issue.
- John Spencer (12 January 1960), died within ten hours of his birth.
- Diana, Princess of Wales (1 July 1961 – 31 August 1997), married Charles, Prince of Wales on 29 July 1981 and had issue.
- Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer (born 20 May 1964), married firstly Victoria Lockwood from 1989 to 1997 and had issue, married secondly Caroline Hutton from 2001 to 2007 and had issue, and married thirdly Karen Villeneuve on 18 June 2011 and had issue.
Lord Spencer and Frances were separated in April 1969. Frances later married Peter Shand Kydd and Lord Spencer married Raine, Countess of Dartmouth on 14 July 1976, the former wife of the 9th Earl of Dartmouth, and the daughter and only child of the romantic novelist Barbara Cartland and Alexander McCorquodale.
Titles and styles 
- 24 January 1924 – 9 June 1975: The Right Honourable Viscount Althorp
- 9 June 1975 – 29 March 1992: The Right Honourable The Earl Spencer
|Ancestors of John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer|
- Staff. "Person Page 100 earl daniel spencer was his great great grand father 89: Edward John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer". thePeerage.com.
- Royal Household of Buckingham Palace. "Diana, Princess of Wales biography". Royal.gov.uk, the official website of the British Monarchy. "Earl Spencer was Equerry to George VI from 1950 to 1952, and to The Queen from 1952 to 1954."
- John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer at Find a Grave
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer
Sir Gyles Isham, Bt
|High Sheriff of Northamptonshire
|Peerage of Great Britain|
9 June 1975 – 29 March 1992