John Stourton, 1st Baron Stourton
John Stourton, 1st Baron Stourton (19 May 1400 / c. 1404 – 25 November 1462) was an English soldier and politician.
Stourton served as High Sheriff of Wiltshire in 1426, 1433 and 1437, Somerset and Dorset in 1428 and of Gloucestershire in 1439. He was returned to Parliament as knight of the shire for Wiltshire in Dec 1421, 1425 and 1432 and for Dorset in 1423. He was knighted c.1430.
He was also Treasurer of the Household from 1445 to 1453 and fought for five years in the wars in France and Normandy, acting as Lieutenant of Calais from 1450 to 1451. In 1448 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Stourton, of Stourton in the County of Wiltshire.
Lord Stourton married Margery or Marjory, daughter of Sir John Wadham, about 1431. They had:
- William Stourton, 2nd Baron Stourton (1432-abt 1477), married Margaret Chidiock (Bef 1428-12 Mar 1502/03), daughter of Sir John Chidiock and Catherine Lumley.
- Margaret Stourton (b. 1433), married Sir George Darell. Their daughter, Elizabeth would marry Sir John Seymour, Warden of Savernake Forest, grandfather of Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset, Thomas Seymour, 1st Baron Seymour of Sudeley, Elizabeth Seymour, Marchioness of Winchester, and Sir John Seymour, and grandfather of Jane Seymour, third wife of Henry VIII and mother of Edward VI of England.
- Sir Reginald Stourton of Stourton (b. 1434), High Sheriff of Wiltshire in 1455-1456 and 1462-1463.
- Nicholas Stourton
- John Stourton
- Joan Stourton (b. 1446), married Richard De La Warr.
He died in November 1462 and was succeeded in the barony by his son William.
- STOURTON, John II (1400-62) of Stourton, Wilts
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Lundy, Darryl. "FAQ". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
|Peerage of England|