John Strong (sportscaster)
|Born||June 21, 1985|
|Education||University of Oregon|
|Title||MLS on NBC lead soccer commentator (2013-present)|
|Spouse(s)||Nicole (Wilcox) Strong|
John Strong is an American television play-by-play broadcaster who is the lead Major League Soccer voice for NBC Sports. His work has appeared on NBC, FOX, ESPN among other networks. Strong is a former radio host on 750-AM "The Game" in Portland, Oregon and was the radio and television play-by-play announcer for the Portland Timbers Major League Soccer team.
Strong began his broadcasting career while in high school at Lake Oswego High School, where he founded Laker Broadcasting. Strong created audio broadcasts of LOHS football and basketball games beginning in 2002.
While attending School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon, Strong worked at 750 KXL in Portland and was active at Oregon's campus station, KWVA. Strong continued his play-by-play work by broadcasting University of Oregon women's soccer, softball, and women's lacrosse. He also served as play-by-play voice for the Eugene Generals Junior Hockey team in 2005-06.
Strong's first full-time broadcast job came at Portland's KXL radio and, later, 750 AM "The Game" in 2008. Strong produced "The Bald Faced Truth" radio show and also hosted a daily evening radio show called "Strong at Night" for the station.
In 2013, Strong was named Oregon Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. In 2011, he was awarded Major League Soccer’s Broadcast Call of the Year for his play-by-play call of midfielder Darlington Nagbe’s goal against Sporting Kansas City on July 2, 2011 at Jeld-Wen Field in Portland. Strong’s call has been viewed nearly two million times on YouTube.com and following the season was named the Timbers’ 2011 Play of the Year.
Strong is married to Nicole Wilcox, a former Washington State University soccer player who led the Women's Premier Soccer League in goals scored in 2011.  Wilcox Strong coaches the Central Catholic High School girls' soccer team and was named the Mt. Hood Conference Coach of the Year after winning a league title in 2012.
- "NBC Sports Group names John Strong lead voice for MLS" (Press release). NBC Sports. June 24, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Canzano, John (June 23, 2013). "Finally, a Strong voice in American soccer". The Oregonian. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Laker Broadcasting: About Us". Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Ducks Weekly Women’s Soccer Digest". Salem-News. September 5, 2006.
- "NCAA Softball: No. 13 Oregon Opens Pac-10 with Cal and Stanford". Salem-News. March 28, 2007.
- "NSSA Announces 2013 Award Winners". NSAA. January 10, 2013. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Best of 2011: Strong wins MLS Broadcast Call of the Year". PortlandTimbers.com. December 26, 2011. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "Battle Ground product still going strong". The Columbian. June 22, 2012. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- "2012 Fall Sports Review". Central Catholic High School. Retrieved June 24, 2013.