John Townsend (author)
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (May 2012)|
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (May 2012)|
|Born||June 1, 1952
Smithfield, North Carolina
|Occupation||Psychologist, Author, Leadership Consultant|
|Alma mater||North Carolina State University (BA)
Dallas Theological Seminary (MA)
Biola University (PhD)
|Subjects||Leadership, Organizations, and Psychology|
|Notable work(s)||Boundaries (book series), How to Be a Best Friend Forever|
Dr. John Townsend (Wilson, North Carolina) is a leadership coach, organizational consultant, psychologist and best-selling author. He consults with corporations, family-owned businesses and small businesses. He operates his own Leadership Coaching Program, which he personally conducts in Newport Beach, CA, Dallas, TX and Indianapolis, IN .
Townsend has authored or co-authored 25 books, selling over 5 million copies. His 2 million-selling Boundaries was coauthored with Dr. Henry Cloud. His most recent book is How to Be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships (Worthy Publishing, 2012, ISBN 9781936034437).
Townsend has appeared on many national TV, radio and newspapers and co-hosts the nationally syndicated radio program “New Life Live”, airing on 180 stations with 3 million listeners. He co-founded Minirth-Meier Clinic West and served as its Clinical Co-Director for ten years. The clinic operated treatment centers in thirty-five cities in the western United States. Currently, He and Dr. Cloud conduct the Ultimate Leadership Workshop and the One Week Intensive for counselors in Southern California. He also co-leads Cloud-Townsend Resources. He is a visiting professor at Dallas Theological Seminary and is Clinical Director of the American Association of Christian Counselors. Dr. Townsend serves on the board of directors of Mustard Seed Ranch, a ranch setting for abused children, and of the New Canaan Society, an association for professional men.
Townsend's hobbies include travel and playing in a band which performs at lounges and venues in Southern California.
Townsend has a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology with honors from North Carolina State University, a Master of Theology degree from Dallas Theological Seminary (also with honors) and a PhD degree in clinical psychology from Rosemead School of Psychology, Biola University.
Books which he has authored or made a contribution to include:
- 12 "Christian" Beliefs That Will Drive You Crazy (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1994)
- Beyond Boundaries (Zondervan, 2011)
- Boundaries (with Cloud, Zondervan,1992)
- Boundaries in Dating (with Cloud, Zondervan, 2000)
- Boundaries in Marriage (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1999)
- Boundaries with Kids (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1998)
- Boundaries with Teens (Zondervan, 2006)
- God Will Make A Way (with Cloud, Integrity, 2002)
- Hiding from Love (Zondervan, 1991)
- How People Grow (with Cloud, Zondervan, 2001)
- How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding (formerly titled Boundaries Face to Face) (with Cloud, Zondervan, 2003)
- It's Not My Fault (with Cloud, Integrity, 2007)
- Leadership Beyond Reason (Thomas Nelson, 2009)
- Loving People (Integrity, 2007)
- Making Small Groups Work (with Cloud, Zondervan, 2003)
- Mom Factor (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1996)
- More: Don't Settle (Zondervan, release date 2013)
- Now What Do I Do? (Zondervan, 2010)
- Raising Great Kids (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1999)
- Rescue Your Love Life (with Cloud, Integrity, 2005)
- Safe People (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1995)
- Secrets of Your Family Tree: Healing for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families (with Brawand, Carder, Cloud and Henslin, Moody, 1991)
- Where is God? (Thomas Nelson, 2009)
- Who's Pushing Your Buttons? (Integrity, 2004)
- How To Be A Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships (Worthy Publishing, 2012) ISBN 9781936034437
- You Can Do This: Grace For The Journey (Worthy Publishing, November 2013) ISBN 9781617952128
- Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and ... - John Sims Townsend, John Townsend - Google Books. Books.google.com. 1996-01-16. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- [dead link]
- Cloud-Townsend, Dating, Relationships, Boundaries, Intimacy, Success
- Boundaries With Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children ... - Henry Cloud, John Sims Townsend, Lisa Guest - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-05-28.