John Townsend (author)
|Born||June 1, 1952
Smithfield, North Carolina
|Occupation||Writer, Psychologist, Leadership Consultant|
|Alma mater||North Carolina State University (BA)
Dallas Theological Seminary (Th.M)
Biola University (PhD)
|Subject||Leadership, Organizations, and Psychology|
|Notable works||Boundaries (book series), Leadership Beyond Reason"|
Dr. John Townsend (b. 1952 in [Smithfield, North Carolina]]), grew up in Wilson, North Carolina, is an author, clinical psychologist, leadership coach and organizational consultant.
Townsend has authored or co-authored 27 books, selling over 6 million copies. He is best known for Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life. This book, coauthored with Dr. Henry Cloud in 1992, has sold over two million copies and gave rise to several additional books about boundaries.
He founded the Townsend Institute for Leadership and Counseling, providing graduate training in Organizational Leadership, Executive Coaching and Counseling, based at Huntington University in Indiana, which is scheduled to open in September 2015.
He has also formed the Townsend Leadership Program, an intensive year-at-a-time training program for leaders, with sites in various regions around the USA (http://drtownsend.com/townsend-leadership-program).
Townsend works with corporations, family-owned enterprises and small business. He also speaks and writes on various leadership and success topics.
Townsend has appeared on many national TV, radio and newspapers and co-hosts the nationally syndicated radio program “New Life Live”, airing on 180 stations with 3 million listeners. He co-founded the Minirth-Meier Clinic West and served as its clinical Co-Director for ten years. The clinic operated treatment centers in thirty-five cities in the western United States. Townsend and Dr. Cloud conduct the Ultimate Leadership Workshop and the One Week Intensive for counselors in Southern California. He also co-leads Cloud-Townsend Resources. He is a visiting professor at Dallas Theological Seminary and is Clinical Director of the American Association of Christian Counselors. Dr. Townsend serves on the board of directors of Mustard Seed Ranch, a ranch setting for abused children, and of the New Canaan Society, an association for professional men.
Townsend's hobbies include travel and playing in a band which performs at lounges and venues in Southern California.
Townsend has a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology with honors from North Carolina State University, a Master of Theology degree from Dallas Theological Seminary (also with honors) and a PhD degree in clinical psychology from Rosemead School of Psychology, Biola University.
Books which he has authored or made a contribution to include:
- 12 "Christian" Beliefs That Will Drive You Crazy (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1994)
- Beyond Boundaries (Zondervan, 2011)
- Boundaries (with Cloud, Zondervan,1992)
- Boundaries in Dating (with Cloud, Zondervan, 2000)
- Boundaries in Marriage (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1999)
- Boundaries with Kids (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1998)
- Boundaries with Teens (Zondervan, 2006)
- God Will Make A Way (with Cloud, Integrity, 2002)
- Hiding from Love (Zondervan, 1991)
- How People Grow (with Cloud, Zondervan, 2001)
- How to Have That Difficult Conversation You've Been Avoiding (formerly titled Boundaries Face to Face) (with Cloud, Zondervan, 2003)
- It's Not My Fault (with Cloud, Integrity, 2007)
- Leadership Beyond Reason (Thomas Nelson, 2009)
- Loving People (Integrity, 2007)
- Making Small Groups Work (with Cloud, Zondervan, 2003)
- Mom Factor (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1996)
- More: Don't Settle (Zondervan, release date 2013)
- Now What Do I Do? (Zondervan, 2010)
- Raising Great Kids (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1999)
- Rescue Your Love Life (with Cloud, Integrity, 2005)
- Safe People (with Cloud, Zondervan, 1995)
- Secrets of Your Family Tree: Healing for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families (with Brawand, Carder, Cloud and Henslin, Moody, 1991)
- Where is God? (Thomas Nelson, 2009)
- Who's Pushing Your Buttons? (Integrity, 2004)
- How To Be A Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships (Worthy Publishing, 2012) ISBN 9781936034437
- You Can Do This: Grace For The Journey (Worthy Publishing, November 2013) ISBN 9781617952128
- Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and ... - John Sims Townsend, John Townsend - Google Books. Books.google.com. 1996-01-16. Retrieved 2012-05-28.
- Christian Post, "Interview: Christian Psychologist John Townsend on His Sermon This Weekend at Saddleback Church", April 13, 2013
- Christianity Today, "Redeeming Conflict", May 1, 2004
- Huntington University, "Townsend Institute for Leadership and Counseling"
- Cloud-Townsend, Dating, Relationships, Boundaries, Intimacy, Success
- Boundaries With Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children ... - Henry Cloud, John Sims Townsend, Lisa Guest - Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2012-05-28.