John Van Hamersveld
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
John Van Hamersveld (born 1941, Baltimore, Maryland, United States) is an American graphic artist and illustrator who designed record jackets for pop and psychedelic bands, since the 1960s. Albums include Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles, Crown of Creation by Jefferson Airplane and Exile on Main Street by The Rolling Stones.
Among his most notable album covers are:
- Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles
- Exile on Main Street by The Rolling Stones 
- Crown of Creation by Jefferson Airplane
- Skeletons in the Closet by The Grateful Dead
- Hotter Than Hell by Kiss
- Eat to the Beat by Blondie
Van Hamersveld designed the iconic Endless Summer movie poster using a photograph. He arranged the shoot in January, 1964, after filmmaker Bruce Brown showed him the film's opening scene. He positioned Brown in the foreground with his surfboard on his head and the film's two stars between Brown and the setting sun. He had learned this technique at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena where he took night classes, graduating later that year. He converted the photo into an abstract design by reducing each color to a single tone and giving each image a single, hard edge.
He designed an official poster and 360-foot-long mural for the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games; illustrations for Esquire, Rolling Stone, Billboard; and branding and logos for Fatburger, Contempo Casuals, and Broadway Deli.
In 1997 he started his own line of products revisiting his work from 1964–1974, which he calls “Post-Future.” With the printmaking of a fine art edition of the “Endless Summer” Poster, he moved his design work into his Coolhous studio in Santa Monica and between analog and digital environments has managed to create works such as the posters for the 2005 Cream reunion concert at the Royal Albert Hall.
- "'Endless Summer' poster guy makes digital waves", by Tom Berg, The Orange County Register, January 14, 2009. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- "Preserver of the past".
- John Van Hamersveld Website
- Article --- "John Van Hamersveld" Swindle, Issue #05
- Article --- "John Van Hamersveld" on The Giant: The Definitive Obey Giant Site
- Press Release for recent show at Shepard Fairey's Gallery
- AnaheimOC.org Surfing Podcast
- the Rock And Roll Report "Making of the Cover for Exile on Main Street"
- YouTube --- Rolling Stones Exile On Main Street Blues (Photots and Images by John Van Hamersveld)
- YouTube --- Hippie Nation on The VivaVision at Fremont Street Experience