John Vane, 11th Baron Barnard
Lord Barnard was educated at Eton College and the University of Durham, where he graduated with a Master of Science. He then joined the Royal Air Force (Volunteer Reserve) and became a Flight Officer in 1945 and later a Lieutenant in the Northumberland Hussars, in 1948. From 1952 to 1961, Lord Barnard was a county councillor for County Durham and also, from 1956 to 1970, Deputy Lieutenant of Durham.
On 8 October 1952, he married Lady Davina Cecil, daughter of David Cecil, 6th Marquess of Exeter. They had five children together and were divorced in 1992.
The five children are:
- Hon. Caroline Mary Vane (b. 5 May 1954) - has a daughter: Nicola Lauren Vane (b. 1988)
- Hon. Elizabeth Anne Vane (b. 17 May 1956) - married Glyn M. Deacon in 1982, they have issue
- Hon. Henry Francis Cecil Vane (b. 11 March 1959) - has issue
- Hon. Sophia Rosalind Vane (b. 24 January 1962) - married Simon B. Phillips in 1986, they have issue
- Hon. Louise Cicely Vane (b. 30 May 1968)
In 1960, Lord Barnard was awarded the Territorial Decoration and became a Justice of the Peace for County Durham in 1961. He was Lieutenant-Colonel of the Northumberland Hussars between 1964 and 1966, Lord Lieutenant of Durham between 1970 and 1988 and Honorary Colonel of the 7th (Durham) Battalion, Light Infantry between 1979 and 1989.
Sir James Fitzjames Duff
|Lord Lieutenant of Durham
David James Grant
|Peerage of England|
|This biography of a baron or baroness in the Peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|