John W. Mills
|John W. Mills|
March 4, 1933 |
Balham, London, England
|Children||2. Andrea & Dylan|
Various part-time teaching posts in UK from 1958-1962. Full-time at St. Albans School of Art and Hertfordshire College of Art and Design 1962-1977. Visiting Associate Professor in Printmaking and Sculpture, Eastern Michigan University 1970-1971. Visiting lecturer Detroit School of Creative Arts 1970-1971. Visiting Professor and Artist in Residence University of Michigan 1980. Stopped teaching on a regular basis 1977.
He was made Fellow of the Royal British Society of Sculptors 1982 and was awarded their Otto Beit medal in 1983 for the sculpture ‘Curved Neck Grace’. He was elected president of the Society in 1986 and again in 1997.He was made Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts in 1993. Awarded an Honorary Master of Arts Degree by University College Northampton 2000
Work in Public Places
- William Blake Memorial, (Blake House, London).
- London River Man (Isle of Dogs, London).
- John Jorrocks (East Croydon, London).
- Swimmers (Cambridge swimming pool, Cambridge, England)
- Diver (Eastern Michigan University, USA)
- St George (Windsor Court Hotel, New Orleans, USA).
- The Thrower (Ernest Bevin School, Tooting, London).
- Boy With Cat (Highfields, Hemel Hempstead, England).
- Road Research (Road Research Laboratories, Crowthorne, England).
- Quadriga, fountain Charleston Place Hotel, Charleston, SC USA
- Time, Cavendish Hotel (Chatsworth House Estate) Derbyshire, England.
- The Risen Christ, Church of Great St Mary, Sawbridgeworth, Essex, England.
- Campus Thoughts, University College Northampton, England.
- Lion and the Unicorn and Digitalis, William Harvey Centre, Charterhouse Square, London.
- Winner of the design competition for ‘The Topham Trophy’ 1961 and 1962.
- Winner of the RBS silver medal in 1991 for ‘Blitz’.
- Winner of the Coin of the Year award (Krause Publications) for the D-Day fifty pence 1994.
- Winner of the Royal Mint design competition for the Euro Cent, British entry for the European Competition 1996.
- Winner of the Royal Mint design competition for the 25th anniversary of the our entry into the Common Market fifty pence coin 1997.
- Winner of the Royal Mint design competition for the 50th anniversary of DNA Double Helix two pound coin.
- Sculpture in Ciment Fondu, 1958 (Contractors Record, London).
- The Technique of Sculpture 1962 (B.T.Batsford, London).
- Sculpture in Concrete, 1966 (McClaren, London ).
- The Technique of Casting for Sculpture 1968 (B.T.Batsford, London).
- Studio Bronze Casting 1969 (McClaren, London), this book was written in collaboration with Michael Gillespie ARBS.
- Modelling the Figure and Head 1978 (B.T.Batsford, London).
- Encyclopaedia of Sculpture Techniques 1989 (B.T.Batsford, London).
- Sculpture 108, Contributed article ‘What I didn’t learn at Art School’ Spring issue 1997
- Sculpting the Human Figure 2006 (Crowood Press)
- John W Mills official website
- 'Blitz' Firefighters Memorial
- Memorial to the Women of World War II Fund
- H.M.Queen Elizabeth II unveiling Women of World War II Monument
- John W Mills images of Quentin Crisp