John Walsh (Montana politician)
|30th Lieutenant Governor of Montana|
January 7, 2013
|Preceded by||John Bohlinger|
|Adjutant General of Montana|
September 2008 – March 2012
|Succeeded by||Joel Cusker|
November 3, 1960 |
Butte, Montana, U.S.
|Alma mater||Carroll College
United States Army War College
United States Army Command
and General Staff College
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1979–2012|
|Unit||Montana National Guard|
|Awards|| Bronze Star Medal
Combat Infantryman Badge
John E. Walsh (born November 3, 1960) is the 30th and current Lieutenant Governor of Montana. He is the former Adjutant General of the Montana National Guard. A member of the Montana Democratic Party, he joined the campaign of Attorney General Steve Bullock, and was elected Lieutenant Governor in 2012.
Early life and education
Walsh was born on November 3, 1960 in Butte, Montana, and graduated from Butte High School in 1979. He attended Carroll College, received a Bachelor's degree from Regents College, the University of the State of New York (now Excelsior College) in 1990 and a Master's degree in strategic studies from the U.S. Army War College in 1997.
He joined the Montana Army National Guard in 1979, and received his commission in 1987.
Walsh is a graduate of the Armor Officer Basic and Advanced Courses, the Combined Arms and Services Staff School, and the United States Army Command and General Staff College.
Montana National Guard
He worked for the Montana National Guard for thirty years. In this capacity he led 1st Battalion, 163rd Infantry Regiment in combat in Iraq. He earned the Bronze Star Medal and the Combat Infantryman Badge. He also led operations of over 2,000 Guard members during Montana's 2000 wildfires.
In 2008 Walsh was appointed Adjutant General and received a state promotion to Brigadier General. After resigning in 2012 to run for Lieutenant Governor he continued to serve as a traditional National Guard member (one weekend drill per month, two weeks of annual training each year), and was appointed by his successor, Mathew Quinn, to serve as the Montana Army National Guard's Land Component Commander. Walsh retired from the National Guard in December, 2012.
Lieutenant Governor of Montana
During the 2012 campaign Attorney General and presumptive Democratic gubernatorial nominee Steve Bullock selected Walsh to be his running mate. The ticket won over their Republican challengers, former Congressman Rick Hill and his running mate, State Senator Jon Sonju. They assumed office in January 2013 upon the expiration of the term of Governor Brian Schweitzer and Lieutenant Governor John Bohlinger.
2014 Senate Run
On October 3, 2013, Walsh announced his intention to run in 2014 for the seat of retiring Senator Max Baucus. The Democratic nomination will be contested, since in addition to Walsh, Dirk Adams and former Montana Lieutenant Governor John Bohlinger are running. Walsh has been endorsed by Governor Bullock, Senator Baucus and Senator Jon Tester.
- Washington Post, Montana Democrats Get Higher Profile US Senate Candidate They Have Been Searching For, October 3, 2013
- Montana Democratic Party, Biography, John Walsh, 2012
- The Missoulian, Biography, John Walsh, March 8, 2012
- Charles S. Johnson, Billings Gazette, Bullock to Name Gen. Walsh as Running Mate, March 7, 2012
- Montana National Guard, Biography, John E. Walsh, 2008
- Montana Kiwanis, Speaker's biography, John Walsh, page 1, 2013
- Montana.Gov, Biography, Lieutenant Governor John Walsh, retrieved October 23, 2013
- Charles S. Johnson, Billings Gazette, Bullock Defeats Hill in Montana Governor Race, November 7, 2012
- Charles S. Johnson, The Missoulian, Bullock Sworn in as Montana's 24th Governor, January 7, 2013
- KXLH, Bohlinger announces candidacy for U.S. Senate, November 7, 2013
- Dan Bushnell, Big Sky Guardian, A New Era Begins for the Montana National Guard/, Fall 2008, page page 11
- Charles S. Johnson, The Missoulian, Democrat Bullock Taps Former Montana Adjutant General for Lieutenant Governor, March 8, 2012
- Office of the Governor of Montana, Lieutenant Governor's Biography
- Steve Bullock for Governor, About Gen. Walsh
- Ballotpedia, John Walsh (Montana)
- John Walsh for U.S. Senate, Official Campaign Website
- Biography at Ballotpedia
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Issue positions and quotes at On the Issues
|Lieutenant Governor of Montana