John Warren (basketball)
|No. 16, 11|
|Shooting guard / Small forward|
July 7, 1947 |
|Listed height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Listed weight||180 lb (82 kg)|
|High school||Far Rockaway (Queens, New York)|
|College||St. John's (1966–1969)|
|NBA draft||1969 / Round: 1 / Pick: 11th overall|
|Selected by the New York Knicks|
|Pro playing career||1969–1976|
|1969–1970||New York Knicks|
|1975–1976||Long Island Sounds (EBA)|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NBA statistics|
|Points||1,814 (6.0 ppg)|
|Rebounds||687 (2.3 rpg)|
|Assists||564 (1.9 apg)|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Born in in Sparta, Georgia, Warren attended Far Rockaway High School in Queens, New York, and played college basketball at St. John's University from 1966 to 1969. He scored 1,306 points in 84 games and was considered his team's strongest defender. The St. John's basketball media guide says that Warren "was perhaps St. John’s most complete player".
After his collegiate career, Warren played five seasons (1969–1974) in the National Basketball Association as a member of the New York Knicks and Cleveland Cavaliers. He averaged 6.0 points per game and won a league championship with New York in 1970. He currently holds the record for most field goals made without a miss in Cleveland Cavaliers history (12 for 12).
While playing for the Cavaliers on December 9, 1970, Warren mistakenly scored for the Portland Trail Blazers on a fast break lay-up at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Leroy Ellis of Portland received credit for the points, although he had tried to block the shot.
- John Warren at Basketball-Reference.com
- http://www.nba.com/historical/playerfile/index.html?player=johnny_warren NBA.com
- Velez, Elio. "Nash Leads Woodmere To Victory at Crotty Classic", The Wave, February 3, 2006. Accessed June 22, 2007. "Far Rockaway High School alumni Mel Utley and John Warren, who was a member of the 1973 Knicks’ NBA championship team and recently Chris Mullin, Mark Jackson and Ron Artest are just a few of the names to play in the Big East court."
- St. John's basketball media guide.
- Wizards give woeful effort as Cavs' Ilgauskas doesn't miss a shot ESPN
- Rockaway Short Takes. July 22, 2000. Retrieved on April 25, 2009.