John Weston (politician)
|Member of the Canadian Parliament
for West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country
|Preceded by||Blair Wilson|
April 19, 1958 |
Vancouver, British Columbia
|Residence||West Vancouver, British Columbia|
John D. Weston, MP (born April 19, 1958) is a Canadian politician, who was elected to represent the electoral district of West Vancouver—Sunshine Coast—Sea to Sky Country in the 2008 Canadian federal election. He is a member of the Conservative Party.
Weston studied International Relations at Harvard University and law at Osgoode Hall Law School and is able to speak Mandarin as well as French and English. He then worked as a lawyer in Canada and in Taiwan. He is a founder of Pan Pacific Law Corporation and Access Law Group, as well as the Canadian Constitution Foundation.
During the 40th Parliament, he served as a member of the Aboriginal Affairs, Fisheries, and Library of Parliament Standing Committees, and as the Government Liaison to the Persian and Iranian Community, and as the Vice Chair of the Conservative Community Relations Committee. During this time, Weston was criticised by the satirical television show This Hour Has 22 Minutes for appearing to sleep in the House of Commons during Question Period.
Weston introduced bill C-475, which amended the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act to make it illegal to possess, produce, sell or import chemicals with the knowledge they will be used to create street drugs, though it was later tabled.
Weston created a National Health and Fitness Day bill, saying “On a personal level I just saw when I reached Ottawa how unhealthy was the lifestyle that MPs lead — so much time on airplanes and in committees and sitting in Parliament. I just resolved that if I was going to remain productive and useful to the people who voted me in, I needed to work at staying healthy.”
- West Vancouver - Sunshine Coast - Sea to Sky Country: 2008 Results
- Conservatives make gains in B.C.
- Aaron Wherry (April 1, 2009). "The Crimson in their midst". Beyond the Commons. Macleans.ca. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- New MP profile: West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea-to-Sky's John Weston
- Parliament of Canada. "Member of Parliament Profile - Elections". House of Commons. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- CBC (November 25, 2009). "Who's That In The Back Row?". This Hour has 22 Minutes. Youtube. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- Parliament of Canada. "Member of Parliament Profile - Committees". House of Commons. Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- Weldon, James. "The North Shore News - Weston tables bill for national fitness day". The North Shore News. The North Shore News. Retrieved October 1, 2012.
- Ingram, Ben. "The Coast Reporter -". The Coast Reporter. The Coast Reporter.