John White (Christian author)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
|Born||5 March 1924
|Died||11 May 2002
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
|Occupation||author, pastor and speaker|
|Spouse(s)||Loretta May O'Hara|
John White (1924–2002) was an Evangelical Christian author and international speaker who worked with International Fellowship of Evangelical Students of Latin America and published many books under InterVarsity Press.
White moved to Canada in 1965 and completed his residency in psychiatry in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Then he served as associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Manitoba and also as pastor of Church of the Way.
White helped to start the Surrey Vineyard of Vancouver, British Columbia. He was also involved with the national Association of Vineyard Churches.
John met Loretta Mae O'Hara in Pennsylvania at a missions conference on June 10. They would marry on June 25, 1955 and leave for a mission to Bolivia with New Tribes Mission on October 25 of the same year.
The entire family would leave the mission field and move to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1965. John would complete his residency in psychiatry and then take a position as associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Manitoba.
John and Loretta became involved in a small group, which they were asked to lead, and which would eventually become the Church of the Way, growing to around four hundred.
In 1986 the White family moved again, this time to North Delta, B.C. to serve as assistant pastors at North Delta Vineyard Church which would eventually become Surrey Vineyard Church.
- Dr. John White would become involved in the charismatic movement, finding his entrance into the movement while taking a class by Dr. John Wimber at Fuller Theological Seminary.
One of Dr. White's earlier popular books is Eros Defiled which tackles the topic of Christians and sexual sin. White would later come to regret writing this book and its continuance in print. Instead, he recommended his later book entitled Eros Redeemed.
These quotations represent significant aspects of Dr. White's thought, with an emphasis on what might be considered the less orthodox and more exploratory areas.
- "[The Archives] stirred the most deeply in people. And I have a feeling that the stories in the historical records in scripture are far more important than the doctrines and prophetic utterances based on them. That we read to read the stories first. We need to focus on the stories because I’ve learned from my own experience that the stories are more powerful."
- The Cost of Commitment
- Daring to Draw Near
- Eros Defiled: The Christian & Sexual Sin
- Eros Redeemed: Breaking the Stranglehold of Sexual Sin
- Excellence in Leadership
- The Fight: A Practical Handbook for Christian Living
- Parables: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (LifeGuide Topical Bible Studies)
- Parents in Pain
- Putting the Soul Back in Psychology
- Greater Than Riches
- The Masks of Melancholy
- Change on the Inside
- Magnificent Obsession
- God's Pursuing Love
- The Pathway of Holiness
- When the Spirit Comes with Power
- The Archives of Anthropos:
- The Sword Bearer
- Gaal the Conqueror
- The Tower of Geburah
- The Iron Sceptre
- Quest for the King
- The Dark Lord's Demise
- The Golden Cow
- Daring to Draw Near: People in Prayer
- Money Isn't God
- Flirting With the World