John Willie Kofi Harlley
|John Willie Kofi Harlley|
|10th Minister for Foreign Affairs (Ghana)|
|Preceded by||Lt. Gen. J. A. Ankrah|
|Succeeded by||Patrick Dankwa Anin|
|9th Minister for Interior|
|Preceded by||Laurence Rosario Abavana|
|Succeeded by||Simon Diedong Dombo|
|1st Inspector General of Police of the Ghana Police Service|
|Preceded by||E. R. T. Madjitey|
|Succeeded by||B. A. Yakubu|
9 May 1919|
Akagla, Volta Region, Ghana
John Willie Kofi Harlley (19 May 1919 – c. 1980s) was a former foreign minister of Ghana. He was a member of the Presidential Commission that ruled Ghana during the military era of the National Liberation Council and the first year of the Second Republic. He was also a former Inspector General of Police in Ghana.
At the time of the February 24, 1966 coup d'état that removed the Convention People's Party government of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Mr. Harlley was the Inspector General of Police, making him the most senior police officer in the country. He was one of the eight members of the National Liberation Council government formed afterwards. He remained in his office as the head of the police force and in admission was appointed Minister for Foreign Affairs between 1967 and 1968. On September 3, 1969, a Presidential Commission was formed. Mr. Harlley was one of the three members of the commission. This commission remained in place even after the handover to the democratically elected Progress Party government of Dr. Kofi Abrefa Busia. On August 7, 1970, the commission was replaced by an interim President, Nii Amaa Ollennu.
Mr. Harlley died during the eighties.
- Roberto Ortiz de Zárate. "Leaders of Ghana". World Political Leaders 1945-2007. Zárate's Political Collections. Retrieved 2007-04-11.
- "Nkrumah's Overthrow!". News archive. Ghana Home Page. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2007-04-11.
- B. Schemmel. "Foreign ministers E-K - Ghana". Lists of heads of state of government and ministers of various countries. Rulers.org. Retrieved 2007-04-11.
- Ghana-pedia webpage - Operation Cold Chop: The Fall Of Kwame Nkrumah
- Picture of Members of the National Liberation Council
- Gallery of Ghana Inspector Generals of Police
|Inspector General of Police
1965 – 1969
B. A. Yakubu
Laurence Rosario Abavana
|Minister for the Interior
1966 – 1969
Simon Diedong Dombo
Lt. Gen. Joseph A. Ankrah
1967 – 1968
Patrick Dankwa Anin
|This Ghanaian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Ghanaian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|