John deKoven Hill
Hill decided to become an architect early on in his life, but not until he visited Taliesin did he become passionate about the design style of Frank Lloyd Wright. Hill skipped his high school graduation ceremony to enroll in the Taliesin Fellowship program on June 17, 1938. Because Hill was so young even among the apprentices, Wright often introduced him not by his name but by "This is Johnny. His father left him on my doorstep in a basket." With only a high school education, Hill started very green as an apprentice but went on to become Wright's chief architect and right hand man. Hill had a keen sense of balance and an eye for design, and took responsibility for the designs and furnishings of all the interiors of the buildings Wright designed.
Hill and Wright designed a number of buildings together where Hill acted as chief architect. Notably, Hill was the chief architect and designer for the echt-Wrightian J. Ralph and Patricia Corbett House on 2501 Grandin Road in Cincinnati, Ohio. The house was designated the House Beautiful Magazine's 1960 Pace Setter and is considered the culmination of Wright and Hill's collaborative designs. Many features first seen in Fallingwater and Taliesin were incorporated into the house. According to the Cincinnati MLS, this property was listed for sale on December 16, 2009 for $1,995,000. It went pending in 3 days and posted as closed in MLS on February 5, 2010 for $1,800,000. It was the first time the home had been offered for sale since it was built. At the time of sale, the home was in need of extensive repairs and improvements. The basic structure is built of concrete and steel.
From 1953 to 1963 Hill served as the architecture editor for House Beautiful magazine and in 1964 became its editorial director. In this function, Hill helped promote the cause of Modern architecture and particularly Wright's "Organic" approach. He went on to become treasurer of the Taliesin Fellowship and honorary chairman of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.
- Allaback, Sara (2000) Mission 66 Visitor Centers Chapter 5 Endnotes #49 National Park Service, retrieved December 21, 2011
- NAAB (2010-03-03). Master of Architecture (undergraduate credit hours plus 79 graduate credit hours) The Taliesin Website, retrieved December 21, 2011
- Brierly, Cornelia Tales of Taliesin: a memoir of fellowship. Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, Page 114
- FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT (1867-1959) Triangle Modernist Houses, retrieved December 21, 2011
- Chicago Sun-Time (1996-07-01). John deKoven Hill, 76, Wright Foundation exec The High Beam, retrieved March 5, 2010
- Looking for the Last Dive
- House Beautiful's 1960 Pace Setter
- Hill, John ("Johnnie") deKoven
- Taliesin", Taliesin Preservation Inc.