||It has been suggested that this article be merged with Joe Flynn (UK actor). (Discuss) Proposed since March 2011.|
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
|Johnny Flynn & The Sussex Wit|
Johnny Flynn by Steve Gullick, 2010
|Genres||Folk rock, folk|
|Labels||Transgressive Records (UK)
Lost Highway Records (USA)
|Associated acts||Alt-J, Noah and the Whale, Laura Marling, Mumford and Sons|
The Sussex Wit:
Johnny Flynn & The Sussex Wit are an English folk-rock band signed to Transgressive Records. They are fronted by Johnny Flynn, an actor, poet and songwriter who cites W.B. Yeats and Shakespeare among his influences. He has performed with the 'Propeller' theatre troupe, and in several other plays including Richard Bean's play The Heretic at the Royal Court Theatre (2011). Johnny Flynn was cast in the role of Lee in Jerusalem, Jez Butterworth’s hit play. for which he was nominated for an Olivier Award for best supporting actor. In summer of 2012, Flynn appeared in the Shakespeare's Globe Theatre's productions of Richard the Third, as Lady Anne, opposite Jerusalem co-star Mark Rylance and then as Viola/Cesario in the Globe's production of Twelfth Night with Rylance as well.The productions transferred to the Apollo Theatre in the West End until February 2013. Flynn is currently playing the lead in Bruce Norris' new play at The Low Road.
The group's second album Been Listening was released through Transgressive Records on 7 June 2010, and was accompanied with worldwide touring. The record followed the debut album, A Larum released in the summer of 2008, and the Sweet William EP, which was released in the winter of 2009. In 2012 Flynn released a Soundtrack Album "A Bag of Hammers". His third album is due for release in September 2013.
Critical acclaim 
Flynn was chosen as one of Fricke's Picks in Rolling Stone magazine, in August, 2008. Critic David Fricke called his debut A Larum, "marvellous" and "buoyant." He has also been called "the next poster boy of the nu-folk scene", by The Times. "Kentucky Pill" was the 30 March 'Hottest Record in the World' on Zane Lowe's BBC Radio 1 show.
Singles and EPs 
- Ode to a Mare Trod Ditch (2007)
- "The Box" (2007)
- The Epic Tale of Tom and Sue (2007)
- Hong Kong Cemetry EP (2008)
- Napster Session [Digital-only release] (2008)
- "Brown Trout Blues" (2008)
- "Leftovers" (2008)
- "Tickle Me Pink" (2008)
- "Fee Fie Foe Fum" [Split 7" with Laura Marling] (2008)
- [Untitled 10" Vinyl] (2008)
- Sweet William EP (2009)
- "Kentucky Pill" (2010)
- "Barnacled Warship" (2010)
- "The Water" (2010)
Compilation album appearances 
- NME Presents: Independent Thinking - Transgressive Records (2006) - "Tickle Me Pink (Demo)"
- The Mules present "Pick Your Own" (2007) - "Hello Hello"
- NME Presents: Love Music Hate Racism (2007) - "Cold Bread (Engine Room Demo)"
- MOJO Presents: The White Album Recovered (2007) - "Rocky Racoon (The Beatles Cover)"
- Communion (2010) - "In the Honour of Industry"
- "Cider Smiles - Volume III", Hide and Seek Records (2010) "Drum"
In July 2009, Flynn featured in the music video for Australian singer Lisa Mitchell's single "Coin Laundry" from the album Wonder. A live performance of "Been Listening" featured on the DVD included with the special edition of Laura Marling's album, I Speak Because I Can. Flynn completed filming Lotus Eaters in London. He also does a cameo in a French movie, Après mai (2012) by Olivier Assayas, playing a song.
Flynn appeared in an episode of Black Cab Sessions. His wife Bea, whom he has known since he was a teenager, gave birth to their first child in March 2011. They were married in August 2011. Flynn has also scored Brian Crano's latest movie A Bag of Hammers.
Flynn and his song 'The Wrote and The Writ' were referenced in Alt-J's(∆) song 'Matilda'
- "Johnny Flynn". Stranded in Stereo. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Rudland, Victoria (2011-02-12). "Theatre Review: The Heretic @ Royal Court". Londonist. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- "Theatre information". Royalcourttheatre.com. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- Post (2010-12-21). "May 10, 2008 Interview, The Times". Entertainment.timesonline.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-06-01.
- 19:00 (2010-03-30). "Radio 1 Programmes - Zane Lowe, 30/03/2010". BBC. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Andrew Purcell. "Johnny Flynn's special relationship | Music". The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- "Watch: Trailer For SXSW Hit 'A Bag Of Hammers,' With Rebecca Hall & Jason Ritter | The Playlist". Blogs.indiewire.com. Retrieved 2012-03-30.
- Philip Ward, Sandy Denny: Reflections on Her Music. Leicester: Troubador, 2011, p149. ISBN 978-1-78088-020-4
- Interview with Fact Magazine Fact Magazine
- Interview on NPR's All Things Considered August 23, 2008
-  Rolling Stone
-  The Times
-  NME review
- New Album: Been Listening | Folk Radio UK
- The Independent: Feb 2009
- Sneak Peak [sic] Review of "Been Listening" | Folk Radio UK
- Johnny Flynn featuring Laura Marling - 'The Water' single review | SouthSonic