Hyde was born in Russia and moved to the United States at age five. Vice-president of the William Morris Agency's West Coast office during the 1930s and 1940s, Hyde represented some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry. In 1947, he met then-unknown actress and model Marilyn Monroe when she was being photographed by Hollywood pin-up photographer Bruno Bernard at the Racquet Club of Palm Springs. Taking her on as a client, he had her undergo minor plastic surgery, and used his influence to help her land the roles of Angela in The Asphalt Jungle and Miss Caswell in All About Eve. The buzz generated by her performances enabled Hyde to negotiate a contract for Monroe with 20th Century Fox.
Despite the fact that Monroe was nearly 31 years his junior, Hyde eventually left his wife for her. He wanted to marry her, but she repeatedly refused; she said she loved Hyde, but was not in love with him.
Hyde was played by Ron Rifkin in Norma Jean & Marilyn, Richard Basehart in the TV movie Marilyn: The Untold Story, Joel Gray in the TV movie Marilyn and Me, and Lloyd Bridges in the TV miniseries Moviola episode This Year's Blonde.
- Eszterhas, Joe (2006). The Devil's Guide to Hollywood: The Screenwriter as God!. New York: St Martin's Press. ISBN 978-0-312-35987-4.
- California Death Records, using the search terms "John Hyde" 'vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com' 2 July 2010
- von Sorge, Helmut (30 April 1984). "Palm Springs – das Goldene Kaff". Der Spiegel (in German). Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Marylin Monroe Before and After Rhinoplasty
- "Marilyn Monroe - Facts & Info". Marilyn Monroe Facts. MarilynMonroePages.com. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Riese, Randall; Hitchens, Neal (1987). The Unabridged Marilyn, Her Life From A to Z. New York: Congdon & Weed. ISBN 978-0-517-65075-2.
- Guiles, Fred Lawrence (1993). Legend: The Life and Death of Marilyn Monroe. New York: Marlowe & Co. ISBN 1-56924-937-7.
- Rose, Frank (1995). The Agency: William Morris and the Hidden History of Show Business. New York: HarperCollins. ISBN 0-88730-749-3.