Johnny Johnson (American football)
|Date of birth:June 11, 1968|
|Place of birth: Santa Clara, California|
|High school: Santa Cruz|
|College: San Jose State|
|NFL Draft: 1990 / Round: 7 / Pick: 169|
|Debuted in 1990 for the Phoenix Cardinals|
|Last played in 1994 for the New York Jets|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
High school and college
He prepped at Santa Cruz High School. Johnson graduated from San Jose State University. At San Jose State, Johnson played 12 games as a basketball player after most team members walked off and refused to play under coach Bill Berry. With 1,219 yards rushing and 61 catches in receiving, Johnson was among the top 20 college football players in the United States in 1988.
He played in the 1991 Pro Bowl. After playing for 3 seasons for the Cardinals, Johnson was traded during the 1993 NFL Draft to the New York Jets, in exchange for the Cardinals moving from the Number 4 pick in the draft to the Jets' Number 3 draft position. The Cardinals badly wanted Garrison Hearst, who also played running back, so the Cardinals were willing to part with Johnson just to move up one draft spot.
After arriving on the Jets, Johnny Johnson was named Jets team MVP in 1993 in a vote by his teammates. Johnson finished the season ranked second in the AFC in total yards from scrimmage. He was one of only two backs to lead his team in rushing and receptions.
He became a free agent in 1995, and the Jets made him available for the expansion draft that year. Johnson considered signing with the San Francisco 49ers. In April 1996, Johnson signed a two-year, $3-million contract with the 49ers; consequently, the 49ers waived Dennis Brown to make salary cap room for Johnson.
Note: G = Games played; Att = Rushing attempts; Yds = Rushing yards; Avg = Average yards per carry; Long = Longest rush; Rush TD = Rushing touchdowns; Rec = Receptions; Yds = Receiving yards; Avg = Average yards per reception; Long = Longest reception; Rec TD = Receiving touchdowns
|Year||Team||GP||Att||Yds||Avg||Long||Rush TD||Rec||Yds||Avg||Long||Rec TD|
|1993||New York Jets||15||198||821||4.1||57||3||67||641||9.6||48||1|
|1994||New York Jets||16||240||931||3.9||90||3||42||303||7.2||24||2|
- Stats that are highlighted show career high
- Swan, Gary (November 7, 1995). "Johnny Johnson May Sign Soon". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- Norwood, Robyn (August 28, 1989). "Big West Preview : Johnson, San Jose State Bulk Up for Challenge of Fresno State". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 17, 2011.
- "Jets Trade Down But Still Move Up", New York Times, April 26, 1993
- Eskenazi, Gerald (February 16, 1995). "Risky, Yes, but Jets Get Back Their Man". The New York Times. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- "49ers Cut a Starter". The New York Times. Associated Press. April 3, 1996. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Johnny Johnson (American football).|
Brad Baxter/Blair Thomas
|New York Jets Starting Running Back
|Awards and achievements|