He was an entrepreneur and author of several books. Until he died, he was a Member of Parliament in Sweden for the Moderate Party.
Munkhammar was born in Hultsfred in Kalmar County, but grew up in Visby on Gotland. He received a master's degree in political sciences from Uppsala University in 1998. He has worked as an editorial writer at papers such as Nerikes Allehanda och Gotlands Tidningar.
Munkhammar was a board member of the Liberal Youth of Sweden, the youth wing of the Liberal People's Party, from 1996 to 1999. He ran as a candidate for the party in the 1995 and 1999 elections to the European Parliament. During the 2003 euro referendum in Sweden he was a leading campaigner on the pro-euro side.
- European Dawn: After the Social Model (Timbro, 2005).
- The guide to reform: How policymakers can pursue real change, achieve great results and win re-election (Timbro, 2007), ISBN 978-0-255-36618-2.
- Johnny Munkhammar död, Svenska Dagbladet 2012-08-14 (Swedish)
- "I work for personal liberty, a free economy and society, open borders and limited government."
- munkhammar.org – official website