|Born||John F. Ryan IV
November 30, 1970
|Angry Youth Comix
John F. ("Johnny") Ryan IV (born November 30, 1970 in Boston, Massachusetts) is an American alternative comics creator. He is best known for Angry Youth Comix, a comic book published by Fantagraphics, and for "Blecky Yuckerella", a comic strip which originated in the alternative newspaper the Portland Mercury and now appears on Ryan's website. In a throwback to the days of underground comix, Ryan's oeuvre is generally an attempt to be as shocking and politically incorrect as possible.
Ryan originally self-published Angry Youth Comix, producing eleven mini-comic issues from 1994 to 1998. In 1998, he began showing his work to Peter Bagge, creator of Hate comics, who introduced the material to Eric Reynolds of Fantagraphics. In 2001, Fantagraphics began publishing volume 2 of the series.
Collaborating with Dave Cooper under the pen name "Hector Mumbly", Ryan's comics appeared in nearly every issue of Nickelodeon Magazine. Cooper and Ryan also collaborated on a "Wonder Woman vs. Supergirl" story for the DC Comics anthology Bizarro. Ryan collaborated with Peter Bagge in both Angry Youth Comix and Bagge's Hate Annual, in addition to penciling and inking two stories for Bagge's DC series Sweatshop. In 2006, Ryan guest-edited a special comics issue of Vice magazine, which included contributions from over thirty of Ryan's comics contemporaries.
Ryan's illustrations have appeared in MAD, LA Weekly, National Geographic Kids, Hustler Magazine, The Stranger, and elsewhere. Ryan has also done work for clients such as Nobleworks greetings cards, Rhino Records, and Fox TV.
His comics have been translated into Spanish and Portuguese.
Angry Youth Comix was nominated for a Best Mini Ignatz Award at the 2000 Small Press Expo. It has since been nominated for multiple Harvey and Eisner Awards. "Prison Pit" won an award for "Best Lettering" at the Stumptown small press festival in Portland, OR in April 2011.
- Portajohnny: The Best of Angry Youth Comix: The Early Years (Fantagraphics, 2003) ISBN 1-56097-547-4
- What're You Lookin' At?: Volume I of the Collected Angry Youth Comix (Fantagraphics, 2004) ISBN 1-56097-621-7
- Blecky Yuckerella (Fantagraphics, 2005) ISBN 1-56097-674-8
- The Comic Book Holocaust (Buenaventura Press, 2006) ISBN 0-9766848-9-6
- Johnny Ryan's XXX Scumbag Party: Volume II of the Collected Angry Youth Comix (Fantagraphics, 2007) ISBN 1-56097-867-8
- The Klassic Komics Klub (Buenaventura Press, 2007) ISBN 0-9800039-2-X
- Blecky Yuckerella: Back in Bleck (Fantagraphics, 2007) ISBN 1-56097-790-6
- Comics Are For Idiots (Fantagraphics, 2009) ISBN 1-56097-974-7 — Blecky Yuckerella collection
- Prison Pit: Book One (Fantagraphics, 2009) ISBN 1-60699-297-X
- Prison Pit: Book Two (Fantagraphics, 2010) ISBN 1-60699-383-6
- Blecky Yuckerella: "Fuc- --u, -ss --le" (Fantagraphics, 2011) ISBN 1-60699-415-8
- Take A Joke: Volume III of the Collected Angry Youth Comix (Fantagraphics, 2011) ISBN 1-60699-464-6
- Ryan entry, Lambiek's Comiclopedia.
- "The Real Johnny Ryan," Johnny Ryan official website. Accessed Aug. 12, 2010.
- "Johnny Ryan: The Mr. Skin interview". Mr. Skin (SK Europe BV).
- "Bibliography". Johnny Ryan's Angry Youth Comix. Archived from the original on 2008-05-21. Retrieved 2008-08-05.
- Vice vol. 13, #5.
- The Comics Journal #279 (Nov. 2006)