Johnny Yong Bosch
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
|Johnny Yong Bosch|
Johnny Yong Bosch at Power Morphicon 2007
|Born||John Jay Bosch
January 6, 1976
Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Other names||Kevin Hatcher|
|Occupation||Actor, martial artist, voice actor, musician|
Johnny Yong Bosch (born January 6, 1976) is an American actor, martial artist, voice actor and musician. His first major role was portraying Adam Park, the Black Power Ranger in the Power Rangers franchise. which led to roles in some martial arts films and television episodes. He provides the English voices for a number of anime productions and video games, including Ichigo Kurosaki in Bleach, Itsuki Koizumi in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vash the Stampede in Trigun, Guy Cecil in Tales of the Abyss, Lelouch Lamperouge in Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Yu Narukami in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series, Guren Nash/Bravenwolf in Tenkai Knights, Yukio Okumura in Blue Exorcist, Noby Nobi in Doraemon, Artemis in the Sailor Moon series Viz Media dub, and Yūsaku Kitamura in Toradora!. He is the front man of the band "Eyeshine". Johnny is located in Los Angeles and does most of his voice over work at Bang Zoom! Entertainment, Animaze, New Generation Pictures, Studiopolis, and on some occasions will travel to Dallas to record shows for Funimation.
Bosch is best known for his role as Adam Park in the show, replacing Walter Emanuel Jones' character Zack Taylor as the Black Power Ranger in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, for which he was cast in July 1994. In 1997 during Power Rangers Turbo he was kicked off the show due to Jason David Frank and Catherine Sutherland wanting to leave the show; Saban decided to retire Bosch's and Nakia Burrise's characters without considering a re-shuffle of the cast. At the request of Koichi Sakamoto, he appeared in an episode of Power Rangers in Space in 1998 and later returned for two episodes (celebrating 15 years of the franchise) in Power Rangers Operation Overdrive in 2007.
Bosch voiced Vash the Stampede in Trigun as his first job and for various Japanese anime and video games. In 2006, he worked once again with Koichi Sakamoto on the film Broken Path. In 2007, Bosch co-starred alongside Ray Park in a comic-book style action film, Hellbinders. He does the motion capturing and voice of Nero in Devil May Cry 4, making him the third actor involved with Power Rangers to have a role in the Devil May Cry series, after Reuben Langdon, who voices and motion capture for Dante in Devil May Cry 3 (and DMC4), and Daniel Southworth, who voiced and did motion capture for Vergil, also in DMC3, and for Credo, in DMC4. Recently, he voiced Final Fantasy game's character Firion in Dissidia: Final Fantasy, and Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy, Yang in Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Zero of Mega Man X fame in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, Tohru Adachi and the protagonist Yu Narukami in the Persona 4 games and anime adaptation, and host of AnimeTV, which started its second season on Revision3.
Bosch was born in Kansas City, Missouri, and raised in Garland, Texas. His mother is Korean, and his father is of German and Irish descent.. He was interested in martial arts at an early age, and he officially started practicing wushu at the age of fifteen. He has also been trained in various other martial arts, such as jeet kune do, jujutsu, taekwondo, hapkido, judo, kickboxing, San soo style of kung fu and Filipino martial arts. He is also very interested in Japanese swordmanship and has trained in kendo, iaido and kenjutsu. He is married and has one daughter.
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers – Adam Park / Black Mighty Morphin Ranger
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers "Wild West Rangers, Part I and II" – Abraham / Black Wild West Ranger
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie – Adam Park / Black Ranger
- Power Rangers Zeo – Adam Park / Zeo Ranger IV - Green
- Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie – Adam Park / Green Turbo Ranger
- Power Rangers Turbo – Adam Park / Green Turbo Ranger #1 (19 episodes)
- Power Rangers In Space – Adam Park / Black Ranger (1 episode)
- Power Rangers Operation Overdrive – Adam Park / Black Ranger (2 episodes)
- Power Rangers Funniest Moments (1998) – Himself
Films and television
- Extreme Heist (2002) - Billy Ray Leung
- Devon's Ghost: Legend of the Bloody Boy (2005) – Josh
- Broken Path (2008) – Jack (as Johnny Bosch)
- Hellbinders (2009) – Ryu
- Death Grip (2012) – Torch – released direct-to-video
- Love Like Bullets (2014)
- Supah Ninjas – Master Shin
- Anime TV (2007–present) – Host
- 5 Centimeters Per Second – Takaki Tohno
- Akira (2001 Pioneer English dub) – Shotaro Kaneda
- B-Daman CrossFire – Kamon Godai
- Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad – Yuji "Saku" Sakurai
- Bleach series – Ichigo Kurosaki, Hollow Ichigo
- Blood Lad – Braz D. Blood
- Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan – Sakura Kusakabe
- Blue Dragon – Bishop
- Blue Exorcist – Yukio Okumura
- Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo – Bo-Jiggler
- Boys Be... – Tsuyoshi Ueno (Ep. 4, as Kevin Hatcher)
- Burst Angel – Akio (Ep. 18)
- Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie 2: The Sealed Card – Eriol Hiiragizawa
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion series – Lelouch Vi Britannia
- Darker than Black: Gaiden – Shichi/Claude
- Daphne in the Brilliant Blue – Yasuki Jyonochi
- Digimon Fusion - Dracomon
- Doraemon – Noby (Nobita Nobi)
- Durarara!! – Izaya Orihara
- Eureka Seven series – Renton Thurston
- Fafner of the Azure – Kazuki Makabe (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Fate/zero – Ryunosuke Uryu
- Free! Eternal Summer – Makoto Tachibana
- Freedom Project – Kazuma
- Fullmetal Alchemist – Lujon (Ep. 35)
- Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo – Albert de Morcerf (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Gate Keepers – Reiji Kageyama
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex – J.D. (Ep. 9)
- Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG – Section 4 helicopter pilot (Ep. 24)
- Gun Sword – Michael Garret
- Gurren Lagann – Rossiu Adai
- Hare+Guu – Chet (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Heat Guy J – Clair Leonelli
- Here Is Greenwood – Kazuya Hasukawa (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- I'll CKBC – Hitonari Hiiragi (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- K – Saruhiko Fushimi
- Kamichu! – Kenji Ninomiya
- Karas – Reiji
- Kekkaishi – Shouki (Ep. 38)
- Mars Daybreak – Gram River
- Knights of Sidonia – Nagate Tanikaze
- Koi Kaze – Kazuya Miyauchi (Eps. 6–7, credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne series – Kirius
- Last Exile – Claus Valca
- Let's Go! Tamagotchi – KuroMametchi
- Lucky Star – Boy Student (Ep. 18), Daisuke Ono
- Magi: The Kingdom of Magic - Titus Alexius
- Marvel Anime: Blade – Djalal (Ep. 7)
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series – Itsuki Koizumi
- The Melody of Oblivion – Monster King Solomon III a.k.a. Solo (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Mirage of Blaze – Kotaro Fuma
- Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit – Sagum
- Naruto/Naruto Shippuden – Yagura (Three Tails Jinchūriki, Fourth Mizukage), Genma Shiranui, Shigure, Gen'yumaru, Sagi, Akio, Sasori, Shōseki (Shippuden Ep. 184), misc. filler characters.
- Paradise Kiss – Hiroyuki Tokumori
- Paranoia Agent – Yuichi Taira (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Persona 4: The Animation – Yu Narukami, Tohru Adachi (uncredited), Ameno-sagiri (uncredited)
- Le Portrait de Petit Cossette – Eiri Kurahashi (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Please Twins! – Maiku Kamishiro
- Pokémon Origins – Brock
- Resident Evil: Degeneration – Additional Voices
- The Prince of Tennis – Shusuke Fuji
- Psycho-Pass – Latent Criminal (Ep. 2)
- Sailor Moon – Artemis (Viz dub)
- Samurai Champloo – Shinsuke (Ep. 7), Jogger in the Forest (Ep. 9)
- Space Dandy – Johnny (Eps. 20, 26)
- Stellvia – Kouta Otoyama (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Tales of Phantasia OVA – Cress Albane
- Tenjho Tenge – Masataka Takayanagi (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Tenkai Knights – Guren Nash / Bravenwolf
- Texhnolyze – Takuto
- Toradora! – Yusaku Kitamura
- Trigun – Vash the Stampede
- Trigun: Badlands Rumble – Vash the Stampede
- The Twelve Kingdoms – Taiki/ Kohri (credited as Kevin Hatcher)
- Witch Hunter Robin – Haruto Sakaki
- Wolf's Rain – Kiba
- .hack//G.U. Vol.1//Rebirth – Kuhn
- .hack//G.U. Vol.2//Reminisce – Kuhn
- .hack//G.U. Vol.3//Redemption – Kuhn
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War – Hans Grimm (Archer)
- Ape Escape (series) – Jake
- Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star – Delta Lanthanoir
- Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk – Ranun Etts
- Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky – Awin Sidelet
- Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland – Iksel
- Atelier Totori: Alchemist of Arland 2 – Iksel, Peter
- Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland – Peter
- Avalon Code – Ur
- Baten Kaitos Origins – Ven
- Binary Domain – Kurosawa (writer)
- Bleach – Ichigo Kurosaki, Hollow Ichigo
- Catherine – Archie, Aloof Man
- Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair – Hajime Hinata
- Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice- Almaz von Almandine Adamant
- Devil May Cry 4 – Nero (motion capture and voice)
- Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII – Various WRO Soldiers, Incidental Characters
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy/Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy – Firion
- Dynasty Warriors 8 – Zhang Bao
- Eternal Sonata – Fugue, Phil
- Final Fantasy Type-0 - Additional voices
- Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon – Seto, Additional Voices
- Galerians: Ash – Ash, Pat (older)
- God Eater Burst – Kota Fujiki
- Grandia III – Yuki
- Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight (video game) – Kamen Rider Dragon Knight/Kamen Rider Onyx
- Killer Is Dead – Tokio, Mondo (Kid)
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky – Joshua Bright
- MagnaCarta 2 – Juto
- Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – Zero
- Mortal Kombat X - Kung Jin
- Mugen Souls – Ryuto
- Naruto series – Genma Shiranui (Sound Test), Sasori (True Form), Yagura (Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 – Protagonist, Adachi
- Persona 4: Golden – Protagonist, Adachi
- Persona 4: Arena – Yu Narukami
- Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – Yu Narukami, Tohru Adachi
- Power Rangers Super Megaforce (video game) – Super Megaforce Red, Megaforce Red, Mystic Force Red, Turbo Red, Zeo Red, Mighty Morphin Black
- Ragnarok Online 2: Legend of the Second – Male Voice 3, Additional Voices
- Red Faction: Armageddon – Additional Voices
- Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes – Sanada Yukimura
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked – Additional Voices
- Soulcalibur V – Xiba
- Star Wars: The Old Republic – Torian Cadera
- Suikoden V – Frey (Freyjadour), Voice 1/Battle Cries
- Summon Night: Twin Age – Aldo
- Super Street Fighter IV – Yang
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together – Vice Bozeg
- The Last Remnant – Rush Sykes
- The Sword of Etheria – Fiel
- The Witch and the Hundred Knight – Biggs, Jack
- Transformers: War for Cybertron – Bumblebee
- Tales of the Abyss - Guy Cecil
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Emil Castignier
- "Anime Expo Welcomes Johnny Yong Bosch and Eyeshine as Guests of Honor for AX2013". Anime Expo. December 14, 2012.
- "Johnny Yong Bosch". Death Grip Movie. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Death Grip DVDs, Blu-Rays, and Shirts ON SALE July 1, 2012". Death Grip Movie. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Death Grip Teaser Trailer Now Up". Martial Arts Movie Junkie. kmiller. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- "Johnny Yong Bosch has Love Like Bullets". Martial Arts Movie Junkie. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Celebrity Chat With Johnny Yong Bosch – Full Transcript. The Otaku. (Interview). February 13, 2012.
- "ANIME TODAY #109: Previews Season 2 of AnimeTV With Hosts Johnny Yong Bosch & Cristina Vee". Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Interview with Johnny Yong Bosch". HalfKorean.com. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Anime TV Podcast". Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "AnimeTV". Revision3. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "New English Dub for 5cm per Second to be Streamed on Shinkai Day". Anime News Network. February 27, 2009. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Comic-Con: Bleach Cast Announced". Anime News Network. July 22, 2006. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "iz Media Announces Blood Lad's English Dub Cast". Anime News Network. May 16, 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Bittersweet Rain". Boys Be.... Episode 4. Manga Entertainment. Event occurs at 21:38 (JP cast) 23:02 (EN cast). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtHAot07-z8. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Miller, Evan (December 8, 2007). "New York Anime Festival and ICv2 Conference on Anime and Manga: Code Geass". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Koulikov, Koulikov (December 9, 2007). "New York Anime Festival and ICv2 Conference on Anime and Manga: Bandai Entertainment". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- Green, Scott (2013-02-06). "English-Dubbed "Fate/zero" to Run on Neon Alley". Crunchyroll. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- "Free Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Johnny Yong Bosch as Makoto". Anime News Network. 2014-11-12. Retrieved 2014-11-12.
- "Bandai Entertainment's Gurren Lagann Dub Cast Announced". Anime News Network. July 3, 2008. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "'K' Anime's English Dub Previewed in Video Before July 12 Debut". Anime News Network. June 28, 2013. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Dub Cast Announced". Anime News Network. February 9, 2007. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "Vampire Knight, 2nd Haruhi Season's English Casts Posted". Anime News Network. March 28, 2010. Retrieved June 21, 2014.
- "New Sailor Moon Dub Cast Revealed at Anime Expo". Anime News Network. 2014-07-05.
- "NIS America Offers Toradora! Blu-rays With English Dub". Anime News Network. March 12, 2014. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- "‘Trigun: Badlands Rumble’ breathes new life into anime series | Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture". Hero Complex – Los Angeles Times. 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2014-06-21.
- Space Racers Episode "Starling DSV"
- "Johnny Yong Bosch : Wizard World Comic Cons : New Orleans Comic Con". Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Square Enix. "Final Fantasy Type-0 HD". Scene: Closing credits, 1:54 minutes in, Voice Actors, Additional Voices.
- "Johnny Yong Bosch on Twitter: "@Stelman257 closer to the game"". Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- BioWare (2011-12-20). "Star Wars: The Old Republic". Electronic Arts, LucasArts. Scene: closing credits, 9:50 in, English Cast.
- Square Enix. "The Last Remnant". Square Enix. Scene: Ending credits, 2:11 in, English Voice Recording, Cast.
- Eyeshine.net, the official site of Bosch's rock band
- Johnny Yong Bosch at the Internet Movie Database
- Johnny Yong Bosch at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Johnny Yong Bosch convention appearances on AnimeCons.com