|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2007)|
|Headquarters||Hongkong , People's Republic of China|
|Key people||Dr. Patrick Shui-Chung Wang
(Chairman and CEO)
|Divisions||Automotive Products Group, Industry Products Group, Components & Services|
Johnson Electric (德昌電機) (SEHK: 0179, OTC Pink: JELCY) is one of the world's largest providers of motion subsystems and motion components for automotive and industrial applications. Johnson Electric has an annual production capacity of over one billion motors and motion subsystems. The group structure consists of operating divisions and business units focused on a customer application or product segment.
The group's motion systems, motors and switches businesses are managed through two operating divisions: Automotive Products Group & Industry Products Group.
Supporting these two divisions is the Group's Component & Services (C&S) function which produces plastic and metal parts, tooling and production equipment for motor and motion related products. Johnson Electric manufactures a wide range of components that form the basis for its final assembled end products.
In addition to motion systems and motors, the group also consists of manufacturing businesses and subsidiary companies. These include a provider of flexible printed circuits and interconnect solutions; a niche player in the programmable controls industry; and a speciality metals and trading services company.
Johnson Electric is listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange. Johnson Electric has 40,000 employees and subcontract workers in 30 countries, with the majority of the workforce engaged in production activities in China. Engineering centres are located in Hong Kong, Germany, Switzerland, UK, Italy, Japan, China, Israel, Hungary and the USA.
Automotive Products Group
The Automotive Products Group (APG) provides custom motors, actuators, switches, and motion sub-system solutions for all critical automotive motion related functions.
The APG product line comprises the following brands:
- Saia-Burgess for custom actuators and switches;
- GATE for engine cooling fan modules;
- Johnson Motor for DC motors (Standard DC, Compact DC, and brushless DC product lines)
- Exterior Segment which includes motion solutions for headlamp adjusters, mirror adjusters, washer pumps, headlamp washers, front and rear window wipers
- Door and Closure Segment which includes Motion solutions for cinching latches, door locks, door closure assistant, windowlift systems, convertible top systems, sunroof control
- Interior Segment includes Motion solutions for seat adjusters, pedal adjusters, lumbar support adjusters, headrest adjusters
- Tire and Braking Segment includes Motion solutions for anti-lock brake systems, electric parking brake, 4WD transfer case and air pump
- Powertrain Engine Management Segment includes Motion solutions for electronic throttle control, traction control, suction-pipe actuators
- Heating and Cooling Segment includes cooling fan modules, climate control, electronic speed controllers, HVAC blowers
- Steering, suspension and safety segments include Motion solutions for steering wheel locks, suspension levelling, vehicle stability control systems
Industry Products Group
The Industry Products Group (IPG) provides motion products and customised solutions for various commercial and industrial applications, including home appliances, power tools, business equipment, personal care products, building automation, security, audio-visual and other industrial products.
The IPG product line comprises the following brands:
- Johnson Motor for DC motors (Standard DC, Compact DC, and brushless DC product lines), and AC motors;
- Saia Motor for stepper motors and synchronous motors;
- Ledex and Dormeyer for solenoids;
- Saia, Bär, Burgess, th-contact for switches.
Johnson Medtech provides custom engineering and motion product solutions for the medical device industry. The focus of Johnson Medtech is primarily in subsystems for Medication Delivery and Surgical Devices as well as Medical Grade Pumps and Custom Medical Actuators. Our close design collaboration with medical device leaders and our vertically integrated manufacturing, results in on time design validation and project completion. Johnson Electric is the Safe Choice partner for medical device makers.
- The Industry Products Group has three business units focused in specific market segments:
- The Business and Lifestyle business unit provides Motion solutions for the following markets:
- Business machines such as ATMs, vending machines, optical disk drives, data projector, printers, copiers and fax
- Building automation and security such as surveillance cameras, electric doorlocks, power curtains
- Healthcare and medical equipment such as blood pressure monitors, nebulizers, dental jets, electric beds and other mobility aids
- Leisure and fitness such as treadmills, ride-on cars and other toys
- Consumer electronics such as CD/DVD player, home theatre, MP3, TV, VCR, joystick, camera, car CD/DVD, MD player, game player & controller
- Personal care such as toothbrush, hair dryer, hair trimmer, massager, hair clipper, foot bath, spa
- The Power Tools business unit provides Motion solutions for the following markets:
- The Home Appliance business unit provides Motion solutions for the following markets:
- White goods such as dishwasher, dryer, freezer, refrigerator, washing machine
- Heating ventilation and air conditioning such as air conditioner, heater, air purifier, air humidifier, boilers, water heater
- Floor care such as vacuum cleaner, power brush, floor polisher, steam cleaners, hand & stick vac, hand vacuum
- Other home appliances such as blender, coffee machine, deep fryer, food processor, juicer, mixer, sewing machine, electric knife, slicer, mini chopper, stick blender, hand mixer, stand mixer, ice augur
The group also consists of a number of manufacturing businesses and other subsidiary companies.
- Johnson Medtech Network
Johnson Medtech is a global network consisting of the medical business groups of Johnson Electric. With design engineering facilities worldwide, and ISO 13485-certified manufacturing facilities in USA China and UK, Johnson Medtech provides consulting and manufacturing and supply chain management.
- Parlex Corporation
Parlex Corporation, based in Methuen, MA, is a manufacturer of flexible circuits for applications from dishwasher control panel circuits to medical devices. Parlex acquired Poly-Flex Circuits based in Cranston, RI in 2000.
- Nanomotion Ltd.
- Johnson Electric Trading
- Saia-Burgess Controls
- Johnson Electric Capital
- China Autoparts, Inc.
- "Parlex Completes Purchase of Poly-Flex Companies From Cookson Group". Business Wire. 2 March 2000. Retrieved 26 September 2008.