September 12, 1983 |
Ada, Oklahoma, United States
|Other names||Bigg Rigg|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||69.0 in (175 cm)|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-JitsuBlue belt in|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Oklahoma State University|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Johny Harvey Hendricks (born September 12, 1983) is an American mixed martial artist and an accomplished former collegiate wrestler. He currently fights in the Ultimate Fighting Championship's Welterweight division where he is the current UFC Welterweight Champion. He is known for his very powerful punches, particularly from the left hand, as well as his extensive wrestling background. As of March 10, 2014, he is #9 pound-for-pound in official UFC rankings.
Hendricks was a three-time Oklahoma high school wrestling state champion and the 160-pound high school national champion at Edmond Memorial High School.
While competing for Oklahoma State University, Hendricks won the 2005 and 2006 NCAA Division I wrestling title at 165 pounds, and finished second in 2007 to Mark Perry from the University of Iowa. The loss to Perry was Hendricks' only one during his senior year at OSU, and also his first loss in 56 matches.
Mixed martial arts career
After graduating from OSU in 2007, Hendricks moved to Las Vegas and signed with Team Takedown, along with two other former OSU wrestlers, Shane Roller and Jake Rosholt. This elite fighter management team funds fighters' training and splits his profits.
Hendricks began training for an MMA career and made his professional MMA debut on September 28, 2007, in which he scored a third round TKO victory over Victor Ratcliff at Masters of the Cage 16 held in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Hendricks fought once more in 2007, and defeated Spencer Cowley with a second round TKO (punches) at Snakebite Fight Night held in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Hendricks won his television debut on March 15, 2008, with a first round submission (brabo choke) victory over Richard Gamble at HDNet Fights Xtreme Fighting League, also in Tulsa, before signing a multi-fight deal with World Extreme Cagefighting (along with Roller and Rosholt).
While in the WEC, Hendricks won two more fights—a December 2008 TKO over Justin Haskins at WEC 37 (Hendricks' first fight outside of Oklahoma) and a unanimous decision win over Alex Serdyukov at WEC 39, which was the last 170-pound bout in WEC history due to the company's decision to dissolve its welterweight division and focus on lighter weight fighters.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
With the WEC eliminating his weight class, Hendricks had to find another place to fight and signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. In May 2009, it was announced that Hendricks would be making his UFC debut against Ultimate Fighter 7 champion Amir Sadollah at UFC 101 from the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on August 8, 2009. In the opening seconds of the first round, Hendricks blocked a high head kick from Sadollah and countered with an uppercut knocking Sadollah to his knees. Hendricks continued to land punches until referee Dan Miragliotta pulled him off and ended the fight 29 seconds into the first round. Some people criticized Miragliotta for stopping the fight too early, as Sadollah seemed to be trying to get up, but Miragliotta defended his stoppage saying Sadollah was "out of it" and "still looked glassy eyed and asked me what happened." 
Hendricks was expected to face Paulo Thiago on March 3, 2011, at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann. However, Thiago was forced out of the bout with an elbow injury. Instead, Hendricks fought TJ Waldburger on March 26, 2011, at UFC Fight Night 24, replacing an injured Dennis Hallman. Hendricks won via first round TKO, earning Knockout of the Night honors.
Hendricks fought longtime #2 Welterweight Jon Fitch on December 30, 2011, at UFC 141. Hendricks became the first man to finish Fitch in the UFC, winning via one punch KO just 12 seconds into the first round. The performance also earned Knockout of the Night honors.
Hendricks was expected to face Jake Ellenberger on March 16, 2013, at UFC 158. However, Hendricks was pulled from the Ellenberger bout in favor of a matchup with Carlos Condit at the event after Condit's original opponent Rory MacDonald, pulled out of the bout with an injury. Hendricks won a unanimous decision win and both participants earned Fight of the Night honors.
Having earned his title shot, Hendricks faced Georges St-Pierre on November 16, 2013, at UFC 167 for the UFC Welterweight title. He lost the fight via a controversial split decision, a loss that UFC president Dana White felt was unwarranted as he publicly stated he believed Hendricks won the fight. In addition, the site MMADecisions.com reported that every one of the sixteen MMA media members whose scores they collect declared the fight a decision victory for Hendricks. Despite the controversy, the bout did earn him his second Fight of the Night honors in the UFC.
On December 13, 2013, news came that Georges St-Pierre would be taking an indefinite break from MMA and vacating his belt. Following this report, Dana White announced that Hendricks would be facing Robbie Lawler on March 15, 2014, at UFC 171 for the vacant UFC Welterweight title. Hendricks won the back-and-forth fight via unanimous decision. The bout also earned him his third consecutive Fight of the Night bonus award.
Hendricks underwent surgery to repair a torn bicep that he sustained prior to his fight with Lawler. He will return to training in May 2014.
Hendricks is expected to face the winner of the Robbie Lawler vs. Matt Brown fight.
Hendricks and his wife Christina have three children Abri, Adli and Avin
Hendricks is of Dutch, German and an enrolled member of the Otoe-Missouria tribe of Oklahoma .
Championships and achievements
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- NCAA Division I All-American out of Oklahoma State University (2004), (2005), (2006), (2007)
- NCAA Division I 157 lb - 5th place out of Oklahoma State University (2004)
- NCAA Division I 165 lb - Champion out of Oklahoma State University (2005)
- NCAA Division I 165 lb - Champion out of Oklahoma State University (2006)
- NCAA Division I 165 lb - Runner-up out of Oklahoma State University (2007)
- Big 12 Conference Championship out of Oklahoma State University (2005), (2006), (2007)
- USA Junior Freestyle Championship
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- 2012 Fighter of the Year
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||16 wins||2 losses|
|Win||16–2||Robbie Lawler||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 171||March 15, 2014||5||5:00||Dallas, Texas, United States||Won the UFC Welterweight Championship; Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||15–2||Georges St-Pierre||Decision (split)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Welterweight Championship; Fight of the Night.|
|Win||15–1||Carlos Condit||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||UFC Welterweight title eliminator; Fight of the Night.|
|Win||14–1||Martin Kampmann||KO (punch)||UFC 154||November 17, 2012||1||0:46||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||13–1||Josh Koscheck||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller||May 5, 2012||3||5:00||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||12–1||Jon Fitch||KO (punch)||UFC 141||December 30, 2011||1||0:12||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||11–1||Mike Pierce||Decision (split)||UFC 133||August 6, 2011||3||5:00||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||10–1||TJ Waldburger||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||1||1:35||Seattle, Washington, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Loss||9–1||Rick Story||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale||December 4, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–0||Charlie Brenneman||TKO (punches)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||2||0:40||Oakland, California, United States|
|Win||8–0||TJ Grant||Decision (majority)||UFC 113||May 8, 2010||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||7–0||Ricardo Funch||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 107||December 12, 2009||3||5:00||Memphis, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||6–0||Amir Sadollah||TKO (punches)||UFC 101||August 8, 2009||1||0:29||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||5–0||Alex Serdyukov||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 39||March 1, 2009||3||5:00||Corpus Christi, Texas, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||4–0||Justin Haskins||TKO (punches)||WEC 37||December 3, 2008||2||0:43||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||3–0||Richard Gamble||Submission (d'arce choke)||Xtreme Fighting League 1||March 15, 2008||1||1:45||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||2–0||Spencer Cowley||KO (punches)||Shark Fight Night||November 16, 2007||2||0:35||Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States|
|Win||1–0||Victor Rackliff||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Battle of the Cage 16||September 28, 2007||3||1:54||Oklahoma City, United States|
- "Johny Hendricks - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Johny "Bigg Rigg" Hendricks Fight Results, Record, History, Videos, Highlights, Pictures, Bio - ESPN". ESPN Mixed Martial Arts. Retrieved March 16, 2014.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- Team TakeDown Fighter Information
- 2007 NCAA Wrestling Results
- "Win Or Lose, History Awaits Hendricks"
- Jason Nawara (March 21, 2014). "Johny Hendricks gives 50% of his profits to his financial backers". mmanuts.com. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- Masters of the Cage 16 Results
- Snakebite Fight Night Results
- Snakebite Fight Night Results
- HDNet Fights Xtreme Fighting League 1 Results
- WEC signs TTD fighters
- WEC 37 Results
- WEC 39 Results
- UFC 101 Card Info
- Miragliotta Defends Stoppage
- "Brenneman, Hendricks in Works for UFC 117". mmadiehards.com. 2010-05-27.
- "Rick Story vs Johny Hendricks tapped for The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale main card". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved September 11, 2010.
- "Johny Hendricks vs. Paulo Thiago targeted for UFC on Versus 3". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 20, 2011.
- "Paulo Thiago scratched from UFC on Versus 3, Johny Hendricks in limbo". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Hendricks replaces Hallman, faces Waldburger at UFC Fight Night 24". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "Mike Pierce vs. Johny Hendricks targeted for UFC 133 in Philly". mmajnkie.com. April 28, 2011.
- "Jon Fitch to fight Johny Hendricks". espn.go.com. September 12, 2011.
- "Johny Hendricks vs. Josh Koscheck added to UFC on FOX 3". mmajunkie.com. February 12, 2012.
- "Johny Hendricks vs. Martin Kampmann official for UFC 154 in Montreal". mmajunkie.com. August 21, 2012. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- Staff (December 15, 2012). "Johny Hendricks vs. Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158". mmaweekly.com.
- John Morgan and Steven Marrocco (2013-02-18). "Rory MacDonald scratched from UFC 158, Johny Hendricks now meets Carlos Condit". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Jesse Holland (March 17, 2013). "UFC 158 results: Why Johny Hendricks vs. Carlos Condit was more than just 'Fight of the Night'". mmamania.com.
- Staff (2013-06-19). "Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks slotted for Nov. 16, likely as UFC 167". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- Staff (2013-11-16). "Dana White believes Johny Hendricks beat Georges St-Pierre, rips Nevada commission". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Staff (2013-11-16). "St-Pierre vs. Hendricks Media Scores". MMAdecisions.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Staff. "UFC 167 bonuses: St-Pierre, Hendricks, Woodley, Cerrone win $50,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- "It's official: georges St-Pierre vacating UFC welterweight title". mmajunkie.com. 2013-12-13.
- "Johny Hendricks vs Robbie Lawler meet at UFC 171 for the title which he became champion.". mmajunkie.com. 2013-12-13.
- Staff (2014-03-16). "UFC 171 bonuses: Hendricks, Lawler, St. Preux, Bermudez win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- Chris Pagliuca (March 19, 2014). "Johny Hendricks Will Undergo Biceps Surgery". mmanuts.com. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "Johny Hendricks Family Man!Tom, Abri and Jo". 2013-03-16. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- "Rewind: Johny Hendricks". Sherdog. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- Official UFC Profile
- Oklahoma State wrestling biography
- Johny Hendicks on MySpace
- Team TakeDown Fighters Official Web Site
- Johny Hendricks profile at the National Wrestling Hall of Fame
Title last held byGeorges St-Pierre
|9th UFC Welterweight Champion
March 15, 2014 – Present