||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (February 2010)|
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2010)|
Johrei (浄霊 literally “purification of the spirit”), sometimes spelled "Jyorei", is a healing ritual that claims to use "divine light" to dissolve the spiritual impurities that are the source of all physical, emotional, and personal problems. It was by developed in Japan in the 1930s by Mokichi Okada.
The purpose of channeling universal energy is to cleanse one’s spiritual body of the ‘clouds’ or toxins accumulated over time. In essence, receiving Johrei is like taking a spiritual bath. Johrei claims to raise the spiritual vibration of the person receiving it, resulting in mental, physical, and emotional balance.
All human beings have toxins in their physical bodies. Some are inherited, others are acquired by ingesting medicines, food additives, unnatural food, unclean air, most drugs, etc. all of these contain chemicals which cannot be used by the body and are treated as poisons........ Illness is no more than the body's way of purifying itself to regain health...... The more we resist illness by taking suppressive medications, the harder and more built up the toxins become...... If we do not allow the toxins to be eliminated from the body, we will suffer more, and have more difficult purification.....on the other hand, if we allow illness to take its course by letting the toxins become naturally eliminated from our bodies, we will be healthier.
Those who use Johrei for spiritual purification view this as being bathed in light. Johrei uses Divine Light to purify and eliminate clouds (toxins) from the spiritual body. This Divine Light radiates from an Ohikari, a paper scroll which has a calligraphy which is based on one of Mokichi Okada's calligraphies.
During Johrei lectures and classes, many reports of dramatic healings are shared with the understanding that temporary symptom suppression is not the same thing as healing. Johrei not only helps people experience miracles in healing but it nourishes the soul enabling people to grasp spiritual realities with greater clarity.
A permanent solution for disease is not possible by treating only the body (matter) and neglecting the spirit. Johrei sheds divine light directly on the soul. A given drug once thought to be beneficial can turn out to be poisonous or have dangerous side effects or aftereffects.
The mission of Johrei is to bring about ideal conditions on Earth, replacing illness, poverty and strife with health, prosperity and peace, but Johrei is not about restoring physical health. The ultimate objective must also include the necessary spiritual elevation and understanding which make possible each individual's constructive participation in creating Paradise on Earth.
Johrei was introduced to America in 1953, and there are numerous Johrei centers throughout the United States and other countries.
There are several spiritual organizations that follow Okada's teachings and use Johrei as a method for spiritual purification, including the Mokichi Okada Association, The Johrei Foundation, The Johrei Institute, and Shinji Shumeikai (also called Shumei).
Johrei research 
As Johrei has spread its message, there have been many attempts to document the effects of Johrei with clinical research on a wide variety of illnesses and conditions. In recent years, several studies, especially at the University of Arizona have been conducted on Johrei. Benefits of Johrei in such studies shows a reduction in negative symptoms in the patients who received Johrei. In 2005 research was conducted to examine the effects of giving and receiving Johrei. Receivers experienced a greater decrease in negative emotional status than givers but both givers and receivers experienced comparable increases in positive emotional status and overall well-being. The study concluded that the practice of Johrei and most likely other energy and spiritual healing techniques may have positive health effects for givers as well as receivers. However these results can be explained by the placebo effect as the study only collected data from a treatment group before and after treatment.
In 2006 the effectiveness of Johrei healing on substance abuse and other psychological symptoms was studied. The conclusion was that participants showed significant decreases in stress and depression and physical pain after Johrei healing sessions and that Johrei healing shows promise in treatment of substance abuse.
In 2008 research to assess the effectiveness of Johrei treatment for non-cardiac, functional chest pain showed a significant decrease in pre and post treatment pain in the Johrei group, indicating that Johrei may have a role in treating functional chest pain.
See also 
- Okada, Mokichi Health and the New Civilization, "Physical Purification" 1998, pp. 15-26
- Tada, Teruyuki, Faith and Science, "Johrei and Miracles" 1996, p. 125
- Tada, Teruyuki, Faith and Science, "Life as Divine Creation" 1996, pp. 44-48
- Tada, Teruyuki, Faith and Science, "Disease" 1996, P. 44
- Tada, Teruyuki, Faith and Science, "Disease" 1996, P. 46
- Tada, Teruyuki, Faith and Science, "Disease" 1996, P. 36
- Johrei Fellowship version of Fragments from the Teachings of Meishu-sama, 1998, p. 56
- http://www.johrei-institute.org The Johrei Institute<
- Schwartz, Gary E. Energy Healing Experiments, 2007, pp. 197,217-222
- McTaggart, Lynne, The Intention Experiment, 2007, pp. 95-96
- Reece, Katie; Schwartz, Gary E.; Brooks, Audrey J.; Nangle, Geraldine (2005). "Positive Well-Being Changes Associated with Giving and Receiving Johrei Healing". Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 11: 455–7. doi:10.1089/acm.2005.11.455.
- Brooks, Audrey J.; Schwartz, Gary E.; Reece, Katie; Nangle, Gerry (2006). "The Effect of Johrei Healing on Substance Abuse Recovery: A Pilot Study". The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 12 (7): 625–31. doi:10.1089/acm.2006.12.625. PMID 16970532.
- Gasiorowska, A.; Navarro-Rodriguez, T.; Dickman, R.; Wendel, C.; Moty, B.; Powers, J.; Willis, M. R.; Koenig, K. et al. (2009). "Clinical trial: the effect of Johrei on symptoms of patients with functional chest pain". Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 29: 126. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2036.2008.03859.x.