Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification
The Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification is a document created, and agreed to, by the Catholic Church's Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity and the Lutheran World Federation in 1999, as a result of extensive ecumenical dialogue. It states that the churches now share "a common understanding of our justification by God's grace through faith in Christ." To the parties involved, this essentially resolves the conflict over the nature of justification which was at the root of the Protestant Reformation.
The Pontifical Council for the Promotion of Christian Unity and the Lutheran World Federation acknowledged that the excommunications relating to the doctrine of justification set forth by the Council of Trent do not apply to the teachings of the Lutheran churches set forth in the text; likewise, the churches acknowledged that the condemnations set forth in the Lutheran Confessions do not apply to the Catholic teachings on justification set forth in the document. Confessional Lutherans, such as the International Lutheran Council and the Confessional Evangelical Lutheran Conference, reject the Declaration. Many Catholics also see it as a flawed document and out of line with the Council of Trent; since it is not a magisterial document, Catholics are, under Catholic theology, free to reject it as incompatible with the Tridentine Council.
- WELS Topical Q&A - Justification, stating that the Joint Declaration "should be repudiated by all Lutherans."
- World Methodists approve further ecumenical dialogue
- Methodists adopt Catholic-Lutheran declaration on justification
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification - The Lutheran World Federation and the Catholic Church
- Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification
- Response of the Catholic Church to the Joint Declaration of the Catholic Church and the Lutheran World Federation on the Doctrine of Justification
- Official Common Statement by the Lutheran World Federation and the Catholic Church
- LCMS - The Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification in Confessional Lutheran Perspective
- Methodist Statement on Adoption of the Declaration