Dixon was born in Salisbury, Wiltshire in 1973, and began playing guitar at the age of nine. He has been a professional guitarist since 1993, playing for artists such as Toyah Willcox (Take the Leap, 1993 and subsequent tours), Voice of the Beehive (Sex and Misery, 1995), Scarlet (Naked, 1995 and Chemistry, 1996, including hit single "Independent Love Song"), Judie Tzuke (Under the Angels, 1996 and Songs 2, 2008), and Mark Owen (Green Man, 1996 and subsequent tours, hit singles "Child" and "Clementine", also How the Mighty Fall tour, 2005/6 and mixed audio for Live at the Academy DVD, 2006).
Dixon was a founding member of President Records, signing Rorschach from 1998 to 2002, and he produced, engineered and mixed their album Needles and Pins, Shotguns and Skins (President Records, catalogue #PCOM 1159). In 2004, he began playing for Rachel Fuller, contributing to her album Cigarettes and Housework and performing at her live shows. It was through Fuller that Dixon met Pete Townshend, and since then he has played on numerous recordings with both Townshend and Fuller. As a producer/mixer, Dixon has worked on many releases, and as a session guitarist he has worked alongside producers such as John Leckie, Chris Thomas, Vic Coppersmith-Heaven, Craig Leon, Neil Perry and Pete Townshend. Dixon was guitarist with Melodramatic Records/Vertigo artist Amy Macdonald, contributing to her 2007 platinum selling UK number one album This is the Life which sold in excess of three million copies, and was number one in five European countries, and also Macdonald's second album, A Curious Thing which was number one in three European countries and also topped the pan-European charts. As well as playing guitar, Dixon mixed the bonus live disc on the deluxe edition of A Curious Thing. He was the guitarist in Macdonald's touring band from the outset of her career until the end of 2009, and was also her musical director for her 2009 touring schedule.
As of late 2010, he has been a permanent resident in the U.S., and owns and runs a recording studio and production company in Placerville, California.
- Wilkerson, Mark (2008) Who Are You: The Life of Pete Townshend, Omnibus Press, ISBN 978-1-84772-243-0, p. 580
- Gregory, Andy (2002) International Who's Who in Popular Music, Europa, ISBN 1-85743-161-8, p. 138
- 1990s gigs Official Toya Wilcox Page
- Voice Of The Beehive - Sex & Misery CD CD Universe
- Under the Angels Judie Tzuke
- Songs 2 Judie Tzuke
- outllook vol.3 Hathway Investments Pvt Ltd, 1997, page 76
- NEEDLES AND PINS, SHOTGUNS AND SKINS President Records
- Interview with Jolyon Dixon Roland UK
- 'A Curious Thing' Credits Amy Macdonald
- Jolyon Dixon and Jamie Sef Black i
- Blackstar Amplification
- "Music Mountain's 2010 Season", Litchfield County Times, 3 June 2010, retrieved 2011-07-23