April 30, 1980 |
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||240 lb (110 kg; 17 st 2 lb)|
The 6-foot-4, 240-pound native of Memphis, Tenn., played junior hockey with the South Suburban Steers in the Minnesota Junior Hockey League. Awe played four years at Northeastern University from 2001–05 tallying 32 points (6-26=32) and 90 PIM in 111 games for the Huskies. He led team defensemen in the 2003–04 season with 13 points.
After his senior year with the Huskies, Awe signed with the Gwinnett Gladiators of the ECHL for the 2005–06 season. Awe also made his AHL debut in stints with the Portland Pirates and the Providence Bruins. Awe had an impressive debut professional season and was named to the ECHL All-Rookie Team.
Awe was invited to the Gladiators NHL affiliate, the Atlanta Thrashers, training camp for the 2006–07 season. Failing to earn a contract with the Thrashers, Jon again played primarily for the Gwinnett Gladiators scoring 56 points (24-32=56) and 65 penalty minutes (PIM) in 60 games. At the ECHL All-Star Game he launched 102.2 mph shot in the Hardest Shot competition, obliterating the old mark by 2.9 mph.
Awe signed a one-year deal with Anyang Halla on July 16, 2008, recommended by club's scout & interpreter Samuel H. Kim. He became the first U.S born player in club's history. After a solid season, in which he tied for 1st overall in defenseman goal scoring with 12 Goals (Tied with Ricard Persson), Awe was signed to 2 year-extension on February, 2009. After Halla's September 27, 2009 game against High1 in Goyang it was announced that Awe had a sport's hernia and that he would miss 8 to 12 weeks of the 2009–10 season. Awe captured his first ever championship title, beating Nippon Paper Cranes series of 3-2 in 2009-2010 Asia League final.
Awe got his new nickname from "The Big Cat" to "The Big Tuna" from his new teammates as he is a heavy eater of tuna Sushi rolls but was also named from other import off of the character of Jim Halpert on “The Office”.
In July 13, 2011, Awe signed with HC Vapellice Bulldogs of Italy 1-year deal.
Awards & achievements
- 2005–06 -ECHL All-Rookie All-Star Team
- 2006–07 -ECHL Defenseman of the Year
- 2006–07 -ECHL First All-Star Team
- 2009-10 -Asia League (ALH) Champion
- 2010-11 -Asia League (ALH) Champion
|2011–12||HC Valpellice||Serie A||25||7||10||17||20||-||-||-||-||-|
- "An Awe inspiring hockey tale". Global Hockey News. 2009-12-21. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- "New look Anyang Halla adds western flavor". NHL. 2008-07-31. Retrieved 2008-11-10.
- "Anyang Halla lock up two imports". Anyang Halla. 2009-02-27. Retrieved 2009-03-10.[dead link]
- "The Big Tuna, Out with Sport Hernia". Anyang Halla. 27 September 2009. Retrieved 8 December 2009.[dead link]